How should I clean mason jars before yeast washing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I just got some mason jars from the store. I'm wondering how I could clean these before yeast washing? Can I use dish soap, oxy clean?

Check out the yeast washing thread at the top of the Ferm. and Yeast forum. Good description, illustrated. He boils his, btw.

sanitizing and sterlizing are to different things. If you are washing yeast to store for weeks or months I would sterilize by boiling water. Then cool the boiled water to use when washing since it will have almost no oxygen present.

I usually just wash them out and then soak with StarSan. I know that they aren't sterile but.....so far so good.

You have to boil water anyway,just clean and rinse them, then boil them and use that water. I wouldnt boil the caps that long, ive hear of problems like with ball lids so really i clean those then sanitize them then boil the lids for one minute,pull out the boiling jars with water and let them cool loosly with the lid.

sanitizing and sterlizing are to different things. If you are washing yeast to store for weeks or months I would sterilize by boiling water. Then cool the boiled water to use when washing since it will have almost no oxygen present.

To sterilize you would need to use an autoclave or a pressure cooker just boiling will only sanitize.

actually there is a process that you can use over several boils that will sterilize. Its not "practical" but it is possible.

Seriously?Boiling is not good enough?

It is, but there is a process where you boil three times over a couple day period, the theory is that some nasties still survive multiple boils. So you boil to kill off the weak nasties, the the next strongest would still possibly grow so you boil to kill most of those off, then let the super nasties grow and boil those away. But that's really overkill.

Latest posts

Back