How Old is Too Old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
So I have 5lbs of crushed grains for use in a PM recipe. Trouble is, they are several weeks old (thanks to several fates that have prevented me from brewing). By this weekend they will have spend a month in a fairly air-tight environment (though not totally air-tight).

Do I brew with them or buy a fresh 5lbs?

I used grains for an batch (all grain) that were over 6 weeks old, in the bag that AustinHomebrew packages them. I hit the same efficiency that I did with the grains I used right away.

TheJadedDog said:
So I have 5lbs of crushed grains for use in a PM recipe. Trouble is, they are several weeks old (thanks to several fates that have prevented me from brewing). By this weekend they will have spend a month in a fairly air-tight environment (though not totally air-tight).

Do I brew with them or buy a fresh 5lbs?

They should be fine. If you want to check smell and taste them just to be sure they haven't staled. Another trick you could try is the old stale cracker refreshment method. If you suspect some staling put them in a low oven (225F) for 10 minutes to drive off absorbed moisture.

Back