How old is too old for an extract kit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster

Reaction score
I purchased a Radical Ale from NW about 6 months ago and forgot about it in my garage, I want to brew it now, just wondering HOW old is too old for one of these kits ?

I assume NB sends the extract kits old relatively fresh.....

Probably OK. You paid for it already so all you have to lose is time. Brew it.

One thing to consider replacing before you go with it would be the yeast. Six months of sitting around at room (or warmer) temps is certainly not ideal, and it would be a shame to have the fermentation go super slowly or nowhere at all because of a $2 pack of yeast. Just a thought - happy brewing!

One thing to consider replacing before you go with it would be the yeast. Six months of sitting around at room (or warmer) temps is certainly not ideal, and it would be a shame to have the fermentation go super slowly or nowhere at all because of a $2 pack of yeast. Just a thought - happy brewing!

I second that - the yeast might be your only ingredient you need to replace but it would definitely be worth it to do so.
As for your grains and hops, they should be fine provided they have been stored in a cool dry place. I actually have an old extract kit in my closet that was bought almost 2 years ago. I recently asked my LHBS about it and they agreed it would still be fine to use. Good Luck!

Northern Brewer sends extract in containers, not cans, so it is perishable. Their web site says the following:

LME- In an unopened can, up to 2 years. Opened or sold in plastic containers can be kept for 2-3 months. Best stored in a sealed container with as little much airspace as possible, in the refrigerator. Bulk LME can be stored with approximately 1/2 ounce of vodka poured on top to inhibit mold growth.

At the very list, scrape off any mold and sniff the extract.

Kit is fine to use. Yeast may need replacing as noted by others.

If you do have any mold growth on the extract, just scrape it off. Mold can only grow on the surface as the sugar concentration is too big - the same reason honey stays 'fresh'.

Don't sweat a little mold if you can't get it all off. You will be boiling it.

I brewed a Mr. Beer pale ale kit last year that had a 2009 expiration date on the yeast package so I'm guessing the kit was at least that old if not 2008. I got a new pack of yeast and replaced the rock hard booster with a pound of DME. The hop flavor was gone but I got a malty alcoholic beverage that made me want to go further in this hobby.

Back