I need a quick answer please, wild yeast vs bread yeast for apple wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beginnier927

Reaction score
Hello
My problem is where I live wine-making is a banned practice, so I cannot get my hands on some wine yeast, I have tried raising raisin yeast which is considered wild yeast, I guess? I just used some unwashed raisins and let it soak in sugarwater for 5 days.

Now I am trying my first apple wine, the raisins yeast water is very active, it starts filling an small balloon very fast, I also have some bread yeast which is also active, which one should I use? and I'm using fast methods I dont wanna wait for over 3 weeks,Ive seen people on youtube making apple wine in less than a month, I dont want my fermenter to become a home to barteria, I dont like tart apple wines. is that always the case with raisins yeast? tart and full of bacteria?

is that always the case with raisins yeast? tart and full of bacteria?

You're not using raisin yeast. You're using a blend of wild organisms unique to your home. Fungi such as yeast, bacteria such as lacto-. Much like sourdough, which is also a product of its environment, wild fermentation is often tart, sour, etc.

I'd recommend the bread yeast, but it's not known for quick production. It hangs around for a long time.

There are quite a few threads on the forum featuring brewers and winemakers working under prohibition.

and honestly even if you skip the filter, yeast are actually loaded with B vitamins, so you could justifie the extra 'body' they give as health food! ;) :mug:

The picture in my avatar is a gallon of mead (honey wine) fermented with bread yeast. That's at about 30 days and it's not done yet. It really was a 90 day process. ABV got up to 15%. If your apple juice is from orchard pressed apples, it will have natural yeast from the apples. That's often used with cider.

Bread yeast works. I recently fermented a high gravity wash (wine?) with bakers yeast. It is not very alcohol tolerant and SG plot started to flat line after ABV hit about 8%. I added a packet of EC-1118 and it continued heading towards “dry”. One advantage for you is bread yeast is tolerant of higher temperatures.

The picture in my avatar is a gallon of mead (honey wine) fermented with bread yeast. That's at about 30 days and it's not done yet. It really was a 90 day process. ABV got up to 15%. If your apple juice is from orchard pressed apples, it will have natural yeast from the apples. That's often used with cider.
I regularly make wines from yeast on fresh grapes, never had a problem and personally I feel it tastes better. I never add any other yeast while making wine. You can try sipping raisin wine and see if you like it.

I regularly make wines from yeast on fresh grapes, never had a problem and personally I feel it tastes better. I never add any other yeast while making wine. You can try sipping raisin wine and see if you like it.
I've read that some "craft" wineries do that. Let the wild yeast start then after 3-5% pitch some EC1118 to finish it.

Back