How often do you take apart the bleichman ball valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
and clean it on the kettle?

I just usually run pbw through it and then water. i ahve never taking it apart...it has to get pretty darn hot in there during the boil, so I assume that sanatizes it too? Looks like a lot of nuts and bolts...nuts and bolt scare me, i usually have extra after a job like this...

Ive had mine a year or more and I have taken mine apart once. It's not that complicated, just pay attention as you take it apart as to where everything goes. If you are really scared about it take a few pics with your phone as you tear it down. Really its not that big a deal. If your using PBW and then a good rinse, then is not that often you would need to tear it down anyway.

alright then

It's really easy to disassemble and reassemble. If you know you're not going to be brewing for a prolonged period of time its always a good idea to take apart the valve and give it a good soak and sanatize. I try to do that about once every 3 months.

I clean it when it tells me too...Meaning, after 3,4,5 batches if you really take a look inside you may start seeing some buildup in there. That's when it's time to clean.

I've NEVER done it. :) Never had a problem, either! Nonetheless, the 2-piece valves can be disassembled.

I took mine apart after about a year, and did a 24 hour soak in PBW. I run PBW through my system to clean it, and the valves looked very clean.

But after that soak, I will start doing it more often. I don't know where that stuff hides, but it was gross! On the flip side, with all the heat it gets subjected to during the boil I doubt anything was living.

Back