How much table sugar to carbonate 5 gallons...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbodaman

Reaction score
I will be bottling on 1/24/15 and don't have access to DME at the moment. I'm going for a middle of the road carbonation. I've seen varying opinions on the subject and just want the very basic "average" carbonation. FG is 1.018 if that makes any difference and will be bottle conditioning at ~65 degrees F.

Broadly, a good carbonation for 5 gallons comes from 100g or 4oz of corn sugar (not exactly equivalent, because one is mass, the other is weight -- and they aren't exactly equivalent once measured, either), and there are conversion tables to/from DME, table sugar, honey, and all sorts of other fermentables.

Both corn sugar and table sugar are as near to 100% fermentable as to make no difference; use about 4oz of table sugar, maybe a smidgen more if you're concerned; you can always stop the process with cold once the level of carbonation is where you want it.

I use this calculator as well as NB's. Each one has some styles the other doesn't. http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html Table sugar doesn't equal the same amount of dextrose. But either will work. The amounts of sugar to get a given amount of Vco2 are typically given by weight. A small digital scale comes in handy here. Just plug in the style first, then temps & amount.

I will be bottling on 1/24/15 and don't have access to DME at the moment. I'm going for a middle of the road carbonation. I've seen varying opinions on the subject and just want the very basic "average" carbonation. FG is 1.018 if that makes any difference and will be bottle conditioning at ~65 degrees F.

What type of beer is it? That will determine how much sugar you need. There really is no basic average carbonation.

For example an ESB that I want very light carbonation may only use about 2 oz of sugar. Any more would not work for that style..

A saison that I want a high level of carbonation can use 6-7 oz to get to the level I want. Any less and it does not fit that beer.

It is best to fit the carb level to the beer to get the best beer.

A Wee Heavy is usually not carbed to a higher level so 2.75 -3 oz of sugar would fit that style.

The carb calculators that have been mentioned earlier are a good resource. They all do not agree so pick one you like to use and then as you gain more experience you can adjust for your tastes.

If you can bottle condition at a little higher temp than the 65 you mentioned in your first post, that will help. Also this being a higher gravity beer it may take longer to reach full carbonation, so be patient.

I have some big Belgians take a long time to carb up.

Back