how much should I buy this for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerdie

Reaction score
it is cast iron and about 2 ft tall... he said it has surface rust on the inside... is it usable ??
3k83ma3lf5O25T65Rea2i29d7ce22097c1067.jpg

3k83p83l05T65S35R2a2i90aa33870be216cf.jpg

it is cast iron and about 2 ft tall... he said it has surface rust on the inside... is it usable ??
3k83ma3lf5O25T65Rea2i29d7ce22097c1067.jpg

3k83p83l05T65S35R2a2i90aa33870be216cf.jpg

Well.... You can always use it as a cheese press. That's what I would use it for. Just clean it up nice and lather it up with pure olive oil (not virgin oil). When you want to make a cheese just throw your salted and kneaded curd into a large cheese cloth and press away!

Call me old school, but the best way to crush grapes really is to put them in a big bucket and get a couple of 5 year olds and let them stomp away and end up with purple feet.

yes i can get grapes from cali at the right time of year in NYC.... not only that.. but my brother-in-law's father grows grape...

I did like 10gallons last year... and it was a pain in the ass.. would rather use a press....but can I use it for grapes if it has rust? how do u take rust out?

funny u said the stAnthony (old school)... i trying to get into cheese making too ;) never made it.. but it is on my to do list

If it's not too rusty, just clean it with a wire brush and sanitize it before use. If it is more than surface rust, getting it powder coated would to the trick. They will dip it to get the rust out & powder coat it (make sure it is food grade paint). This usually costs between $100 & $200.

Not sure what I would offer...It really depends on how much money you want to spend on a functional wine press so you need to consider how much cash will need to go into it to make it usable.

In my opinion (which should mean very little) - Spending around $250 on a working winepress is a fair price. So, if it is in working condition, try and get it for $200 or less. If it needs work, offer a lot less.

you can sand blast it to remove the rust and scale and then coat it with olive oil every so often to keep it for rusting any more. Or wire brush the heck out of it and wipe it down with alcohol really well and then coat it with olive oil every so often.

yes i can get grapes from cali at the right time of year in NYC.... not only that.. but my brother-in-law's father grows grape...

I did like 10gallons last year... and it was a pain in the ass.. would rather use a press....but can I use it for grapes if it has rust? how do u take rust out?

funny u said the stAnthony (old school)... i trying to get into cheese making too ;) never made it.. but it is on my to do list

Grapes are a noble thing to have. I've got 75 marquette vines in back. They haven't reached maturity yet. This year I'll plant some hops. I've made room for 24 hops vines and am deciding which to plant here.

(Yep, time for a new thread!)

Back