how much propane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaptain_karma

Reaction score
How much propan do you all usually go through in a full boil brew session? I'm getting ready to do my first all grain brew and need to know how much to get.

I get 4+ brews with 60 min boils from a 20# tank and a 55,000 BTU cooker. I keep a spare on hand.

Make sure, you shelter the bruner from the wind. This will save quite some gas. I had to brew in the garage for the first time 2 weekends ago and I noticed that I can maintain a full boil with a much smaller flame than doing it outside.

Brewing outside I can do about 4 batches with one 20lb tank. That is a significant part of my brewing cost :(

Kai

I brew in the garage. I got 6 brew sessions out of my last tank. I think the type of burner you use and how how high you turn the regulator up has a big impact on how long your propane lasts. I never turn mine up all the way - it's just a waste of propane. It brings 6.5 - 7 gallons to a boil quickly turned between 1/2 - 3/4, and maintains a strong boil at less than 1/2.

I talked to a brewing buddy of mine that usually does his brews in 2 pots on his stove. He tried a propane setup that one of his friends brought over, and they used over 1/2 a bottle of propane on 1 batch!! He's coming over tomorrow to brew a batch - I'll show him how it's suppose to be done. :rockin:

Figure about 1.5 to 2 times as much as an extract batch. The higher the gravity, the more boil-off.

Monster Mash said:
I go through almost 2 tanks per brew. My system is like a Hummer, its big and bad and burns fuel like crazy.....

I'm suprised you don't have one of those BIG tanks for your system.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Isn't that kind of cost prohibitive? That would run me $30-40 out here (assuming 20# tanks).

He's brewing 30-40 gallons each time he brews............

Dude said:
I am starting to doubt my system now too. I'm burning through one tank+ every 2 brews. Not cost effective.

For camping, they make something called JetBoil http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Technology. There the "kettle" has heat absorbing "fins" at the bottom which absorb the heat from the burner much more efficient. Something like this and sheltering the burners and the bottom of the pot from the wind should make a huge difference in the amount of gas necessary to maintain a sufficiently vigorous boil.

Kai

Monster Mash said:
I go through almost 2 tanks per brew. My system is like a Hummer, its big and bad and burns fuel like crazy.....

Dude, your setup rocks!

I think I'll have to stick to the small time brew days until I've got the bucks to shell out on something like that.

This is another one of the variables that worries me. How do you get consistancy with the boil. I just eyeball the flame and observe the boil. If I get it to high or too low the ending volume will be off. Plus if it's too high I'm wasting gas.
It looks like I get about 4 brews per tank. I'm going to look into some sort of baffle for the wind. I've done a couple brews in the wind and I can see the boil slow when a gust blows through.
The cost of propane is one I haven't been factoring in to the cost of my brews.

Dude said:
I am starting to doubt my system now too. I'm burning through one tank+ every 2 brews. Not cost effective.

Aren't you using 1 tank for both the hlt and the brew kettle? If so that may not be to bad, esspecially if they are 10 gal batches.

Brewiz said:
Aren't you using 1 tank for both the hlt and the brew kettle? If so that may not be to bad, esspecially if they are 10 gal batches.

5 gallon batches, and yes, the HLT is now heated. I'm not really complaining, as I'm sure it has to do with the new burners eating a bit more propane. I'd rather have it use propane than barely able to keep a boil going.

Back