How much more time it takes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stef1966

Reaction score
Was wondering if any would have a general idea about the amount of days it would take for a 12 oz bottle to properly carb VS a bigger 750 ml one?

Is there an existing constant that would say like: "If it took 2 weeks for little 12 oz bottles to properly carb, it will usually take an extra week for 750 ml bottles to get to the same level of carbonation".
(of course talking about being bottled the same day with the same batch of brew).

I have noticed it takes a while longer for bigger bottles to achieve the same carbonation level, but i never really could keep actual datas about how many more time it really takes.

Thanks in advance if any of you have some info about that.

Well it depends on a lot of factors. Number of yeast, amount of carbonation/sugar, temperature. If you are doing 3 weeks at 70 degrees then the 12 ouncers will be ready (almost always). Another week and 750ml bottles will probably catch up if they are not there already.

Ok thanks, so as a general rule, it would be safe to say that it usually takes about an extra week for bigger bottles to get to the same level as the smaller ones.

in my experience they take about the same time.
You have a larger bottle, sure, but the air space is the same size, and you have more yeast/sugar in the bottle producing the CO2

One other factor i may consider is im using snap on lid caps on my 750 ml, and the seals on them must be replaced once in a while, i guess it might also be why some seem to take longer to carb...

Anyways, if it's just something like a week of difference, it aint no big deal.

I stopped using the snap top lids, I don;t like the green grolch bottles (Mainly because i won't drink it) so i always used the 1L, and that is more homebrew than i want in 1 sitting. I also found it a pain to replace the gubber gaskets on them. I use 12 and 22oz bottles with a capper.

I re-use the 750 ml bottles from Unibroue and then i also use the little 12 oz bottles from "Sol" a pale Ale from Mexico, tastes about the same as Corona, i have way more bottles than i can brew in a given time span.

My concern was more for the 750 ml but so far i only got two that i badly needed to replace the gasket (the beer in it was somewhat flat while all the others showed proper carbonation after 3 weeks in bottle).

5 gal batches go too fast... i'd like to step up to 10 gal batches one day.
(my liver hates me for just even thinking so...)

Latest posts

Back