How much LOBSTER in beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden123982

Reaction score
Had some fun a few weeks back doing a brewing challenge with lobster! With a local brewery too. You can check it out on YouTube on the Genus Not Brewing channel
What’s the craziest thing any of you guys or gals have brewed with??

I just made a Screaming Viking. Basically, my Tripel recipe but I substituted Belgian yeast with Kveik. Most importantly, I "bruised" a cucumber and tossed it in to my boil. I guess you have to be old enough to get the "Cheers" reference.

Had some fun a few weeks back doing a brewing challenge with lobster! With a local brewery too. You can check it out on YouTube on the Genus Not Brewing channel
What’s the craziest thing any of you guys or gals have brewed with??
i saw the video not long after it 'aired'. the answer is zero. zero lobster in beer is the correct amount.

I made a pickle pilsner once for a friend. "Dry-hopped" with a jar of pickles. The Dilly Dilsner tasted like you think it would, essentially carbonated pickle juice with some sort of beer backbone. In that regard it was a success, but 5 gallons was a bit too much to have on hand.

I have not put lobster in my beer, but obviously a boil kettle is a good place to cook large lobsters :)

1613416344201.png

I did use beets one time for the color. That ended up a disaster (beet was a little dirty, wort was already cooled, I was a little toasted :(
I've had a beer before from the same place that we did the lobster beer at with beets in it... If I remember it was a gruit. If you liked beets (which I do) then it was a great beer. The color was amazing!

When did you add the sauce? In the boil or post fermentation?
We (jokingly) buttered the rim of a glass during the tasting... highly not recommended to do ever! But I will say that lobster that was cooked in the wort was pretty good. Had some spicy sauce that someone had whipped together that day too

I made a pickle pilsner once for a friend. "Dry-hopped" with a jar of pickles. The Dilly Dilsner tasted like you think it would, essentially carbonated pickle juice with some sort of beer backbone. In that regard it was a success, but 5 gallons was a bit too much to have on hand.

Pickle beers are awesome! I did one as a gose with dill seed, coriander, and mustard seed that turned out nice. Local brewery liked it enough that I got to make it with them last year. Definitely a beer I want to do again

Earth Eagle Brewings in Portsmouth NH is notorious for brewing with animal parts, including a moose head gruit ("Bogmare") and a porter using pig brains.
I guess meated beers were a thing a couple hundred years ago and these guys are bringing it back.

And good luck with that. Ooof... :oops:

When I was starting to brew and still using my stove for the boil, a wishbone that had been drying for 2 months above the stove fell in the boil. It was a dark beer and with the equipment on hand it took about 10 minutes to fish it out of the boil. We ended up calling the beer "Lucky Brown" luckily no off flavors.

Back