How much K-meta in a Campden tablet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richl025

BIAB brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how many grams each Campden tablet is?

I head you can use 1 tablet to treat 20 gallons of water, but I have powdered Potassium Metabisulfite, so if I can avoid buying (and then crushing!) the tablets, that would be best...

Can anyone tell me how many grams each Campden tablet is?

I head you can use 1 tablet to treat 20 gallons of water, but I have powdered Potassium Metabisulfite, so if I can avoid buying (and then crushing!) the tablets, that would be best...

Wow- that would be a miniscule amount of powdered k-meta.

let's see. 1/4 teaspoon of powder equals 6 campden tablets, at least with winemaking. So, 1/6 of 1/4 teaspoon.

It'd be much easier by weight, I'm sure. So maybe weigh 1/4 teaspoon on a gram scale, and then divide that by six. That should be close, if my guessing is correct.

I know there is a way that we winemakers make a k-meta solution that works when we need tiny amounts of k-meta. I cannot remember exactly how to do it at the moment (it's been years) but you take a small amount of k-meta and dissolve it in water and then use a teaspoon of that solution. You can find it on the internet I'm sure, but I'm not sure how well that then works do react with the chlorine/chloramine so I can't say if that would work in this instance.

Back