How much idophor do you guys use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does at the right dillution...but like you I buy mine at the TSC, but I've never seen Iodosan....I have a gallon of THE dionne gentle iodine, but I will definitely look into the iodosan...

:mug:

I just bought a gallon of this a few weeks ago based on your comments in the Sanitizer Question.... thread. Using 1.5 tbsp per 5 gallons I haven't had any problems with my apfelwein, mead or beer. So it seems to work well.

I was under the impression that Iodaphor was iodine and phosphoric acid. Maybe that was a different brand from B-T-F.

Here is the MSDS from National Chem http://www.nationalchemicals.com/downloads/MSDS_Iodophor.pdf

Wll every time I read it I've only ever seen
Butoxy polypropoxy polyethoxy ethanol-iodine complex 7553-56-2 0.1 p.p.m.

Looks like Iodine to me...it doesn't matter what the other ingredients are, the Iodine matters...and it's been used as an antiseptic in the medical and dairy industry forever, so any form will work at ptoper dillution.

So which is the correct ppm? I have a 4oz bottle and it says 3/10oz in 3 gallon for 12.5ppm - 3/5 oz for 25ppm. I have a 6 gallon carboy - so 6/10th of an oz for 12.5ppm?

Yeah, I bought bulk Dairy Iodophor at tractor supply company for 14 dollars a gallon, so I am set for life....And since I keep a spraybottle full of it with distilled water which lasts nearly forever, I hardly end up mixing a lot of it up.

I thought after a certain period of time after being mixed it loses its effectiveness?

OP: 1tsp per 1 1/2G water.

I thought after a certain period of time after being mixed it loses its effectiveness?

Although I generally use iodophor, I do keep starsan mixed in the spraybottle (distilled water) for that reason.

BTW, doing this from memory but the easiest way I've found for measuring iodophor is with a syringe; 3ml/gallon = 12.5ppm.

I use 1 Table spoon for 5 IMP gallons and then ad a half cap full or so if I want to fill my bucket to 7 G. Then I store it in a keg and add a half cap full whenever it looks pale.

If my solution looks too dark, I will give things a light rinse afterward.

Does straight iodine do the same thing? and if so, where do I buy it?

Does anyone know what Iodophor is like in a septic system? I assume any sanitizer can not be good for the bacteria we want in a septic system. I have been dumping my waste Iodophor on my deck, I call it a deck sanitizer....

Back