How much hops if only hopping during flameout (hop stand)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Some say that you get the best hop flavour and aroma (as well as some added bitterness) doing a "hop stand" where you add hops at flameout and then let it sit for 60-90 minutes.

So I'd like to try and take this experiment to the extreme: Push the aroma and flavour as far as possible by *only* doing a hop stand. That is, not add any hops during the boil at all.

I think a 1.050-1.055 fairly standard APA (95% 2-row, 5% crystal) with its lower bitterness could pull this off. What I need to make sure of is that I get enough bitterness to not have the beer be overly sweet. The target is to get an extremely hop flavoured and aromatic APA that doesn't have much bitterness.

Some say that with a hop stand you get 10% of the bitterness you'd get if you boiled for 60 mins, so I'm going to add enough hops that would normally get around 300-400 IBU (if boiled the full 60 mins).

This is would be about an 8oz combination of various american c-type hops for a 6 gallon post-boil batch. All added immediately at flameout and left to steep for 60-90 mins with the lid off. By not letting it cool off first a bit, it should still extract some bitterness too.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Kal

Idk but I like it ;) 8 oz sounds good. Maybe steep the higher AA a little longer than the lower ones? Will you be dryhopping also

I wanted to experience the effects of a single hop addition at flame out.

1 gallon batch
2row 88%
Crystal 20 12%
1.046 OG
1.010 FG
2 oz Chinook 15.6% aa. Added at 178, temp dropped to 175 after hop addition at 2:40, 168 degrees at 2:45, 165 degrees at 2:50, 160 degrees at 2:55, 156 degrees at 3:00. Crashed to 70 degrees within 10 minutes. Total time hops in wort- 30 minutes.
California yeast, over pitched- approximately 3.5 million cells/ml/deg. plato.

This is just a gravity reading that I am tasting. Very aromatic, which was expected, with smooth citrus also fresh-cut pineapple. Flavor, muddled by the yeast/green flavor, is mostly citrus- grapefruit and maybe also pineapple. Bitterness level at first seemed to be between 80 IBU-100IBU, but after sipping for a few minutes and writing this....sip, gulp, aah...Yes, it seems to maybe be a little lower, in the 60-80 IBU range.

Very good sample, being made with only one large lat hop addition, I am surprised about how much hop flavor and bitterness was attributed. This might be kind of expensive to do this on a large scale, but it would not be the first time I have added this many hops to one brew...

@Lagger: Yes, I was planning on dry hopping. Probably 1 oz per 5 gals. We'll see. Depends on how it tastes after fermentation.

@hopdoc: 2 oz in 1 gallon is pretty high (10 oz per 5 gal), but not that much higher than I thought of doing. If it tastes like 60-80 IBU that's (IMHO) too high fora 1.046 SG beer. You also added it at only 175F which is the temp where (supposedly) bitterness is not longer added. So it makes me think that my 8 oz added immediately after boil for a longer time will be way too bitter.

Kal

How did it go? I'm curious as i'm thinking of doing a heavy hopstand with minimal boil hops.

It was interesting! Hoppier than I thought. I ended up calling it my 'Electric Hop Stand Pale Ale' - I did a huge writeup of it here with pictures and my findings, including some competition results.

IMG_2143.jpg

Me brewing it:

IMG_2215.jpg

Sludge:

IMG_2244.jpg

Dry hopping:

IMG_2531.jpg

My beer in a competition:

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

Kal

Back