How much grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm making a saison and the recipe I have is a little vague... It doesn't have quantities for the grains just types. I have a 65/35 unhopped wheat extact. White Wheat (Rahr), Light Munich Weyermanna Malting and Pilsner (Rahr).

I'm thinking 1LBS Wheat, 1LBS Munich and 6LBS Pilsner. Is that enough? Is it to much? Is there such a thing as to much grain?

One more question.... When exactly do I add the Belgian Candi Sugar?

6 ounces or pounds of Pilsner?

Add Candi sugar at the end of the boil. 5-10 minutes.

There is definitely such a thing as too much grain. Especially if you are trying to brew to style.

6LBS Pilsner... The homebrew wiki says:

" small amount (usually 2-4 pounds) of grain is mashed to obtain fermentable sugars, and Malt Extract is used to provide the remainder of the fermentables in the wort."

So should I reduce the Pilsner to 4?

I am not sure what exactly to tell you here. 8lbs of grain is practically enough for a Saison already. It will be a little light, but not completely out of style I dont think.

What kind of equipment are you using? Are you planning on steeping or are you doing a partial mash to convert starches? If doing the latter, do you have the room to add a couple more pounds of grain?

If you are partial mashing, and have the room to add a couple of pounds of grain, I would bump the Pils to 8 pounds, nix the extract and brew away. If you are steeping, I would take the Pils way down, maybe even eliminate it and add a can of light extract. If you are partial mashing, but have no extra room, I would probably take the Pils down to 3-4 pounds.

Hope this helps.

if this is PM or AG, you might wanna have a mod move it to the right forum.

I cannot imagine an extract recipe with 8lbs of steeping grains....

SRFeldman79 said:
im going to go ahead and guess that its Pilsner extract...

I dont think so. He is asking if it is too much grain, and lists it with wheat and Munich. I am pretty sure it is malt. Very weird though.

Back