How much grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trock577

Reaction score
How much grain is to much grain. I am new to this hobby and i really wanna try my own recipe. And was wondering where i should start.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This is a question that has no answer. How much water is too much water? How many hops are too many hops? It all depends on your system and what you're trying to do. Add some specifics and you might get a clearer answer.

If you haven't brewed an all grain beer yet, I would tackle a couple of kits or tried and true recipes before heading off and creating your own. Takes some time to figure out which grains give you which flavors, and how much you should add.

Back to your question though, it really depends on how efficient your sugar conversion is. Figure you will likely be somewhere between 60 and 80% in your first couple of batches. So for an average gravity beer (OG of 1.050), you will need a total of between 10-12 lbs of grain. Check out a recipe calculator like Brewers Friend which allows you to vary your efficiency when you are setting up your ingredients.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator

A lot of it depends on your system, what size batches you intend to brew, and what you plan on brewing. You could try messing around with different recipe programs or looking at other people's recipes to get a good feel for it. I'm sure others on here will have some much more specific advice for you.

Back