How much extract to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbfan101

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am planning on brewing my first batch of beer soon, and I need some help with a couple of basic questions. Mainly, I am having difficulties finding how much extract you would add to your partial mash. Is there a formula for this? I know I will be recommended to do all extract brewing, but I would rather not do that. I have read nearly all of John Palmer's How to Brew book, and I just feel like all extract brewing is way too simplified.

Thanks,

Pat

Depends on what you want to achieve with your recipe. If you're coming up with this recipe by yourself use beer calculus, beersmith, or a similar program. Pick a style then just start adding ingredients until you're in the ranges. Don't go too crazy.

Brewing Classic Styles is a great book to get you moving on recipe formulation.

Also, don't think that extract brewing is "oversimplified". It's a fine way to brew. Especially brewing extract + specialty grains, it just makes the day go by alot quicker.

Back