El Dorado hops - I get the candy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akpingel

Reaction score
Just sampling a brew I came up with...
13lb 2 row
2 lb maris otter
1 lb Carapils
1 oz 60 min El D
1 oz 30 min El D
2 oz whirlpool El D
2 oz dry hop
6 gallons there about-
1.069 OG
Currently 1.032 on the refracto (so 1.01 or 1.004 range)
Safale 05 yeast

My El D's were something like 16 alpha acid- higher than typical I think
This beer tastes extremely sweet. I am getting a lot of the candy flavor that is used to describe El Dorado's. Looks like I should be close to terminal gravity so I don't think I have sugars left..? Nice bitterness from the hops, just very sweet.
Any thoughts? Experience with El Dorado's? Any recipe critiques?
Cheers!
Alex

Just sampling a brew I came up with...
13lb 2 row
2 lb maris otter
1 lb Carapils
1 oz 60 min El D
1 oz 30 min El D
2 oz whirlpool El D
2 oz dry hop
6 gallons there about-
1.069 OG
Currently 1.032 on the refracto (so 1.01 or 1.004 range)
Safale 05 yeast

My El D's were something like 16 alpha acid- higher than typical I think
This beer tastes extremely sweet. I am getting a lot of the candy flavor that is used to describe El Dorado's. Looks like I should be close to terminal gravity so I don't think I have sugars left..? Nice bitterness from the hops, just very sweet.
Any thoughts? Experience with El Dorado's? Any recipe critiques?
Cheers!
Alex

It could be that pound of Carapils...I've found in my recipes the Carapils, Caravienne, etc sometimes can add a touch too much sweetness. Next time I would add less...half a pound should be fine.

Also, never got candy from El Dorado hops but it has been a while since I used them, so take this with a grain of salt

I get a candy sweetness from el dorado pretty much anytime I use it. I’ve never gotten pineapple when I’ve brewed with it. I did get it in a trillium beer once though.

I’ve personally stopped using it because of it. Always reminds me of the beginning flavor of oxidation

Thanks for the feedback. I think I have 12 more ounces to use up. I will definitely cut the carapils in half, and see if I change my late additions if the batches will be less sweet.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I have 12 more ounces to use up. I will definitely cut the carapils in half, and see if I change my late additions if the batches will be less sweet.

I use a lot of Carapils, and I wouldn't change it or attribute your over sweetness to it. Your percentage isn't very high honestly and I've gone much higher in IPAs this size. The fact that your FG is so low doesn't leave room for much residual sugars which leads me to believe it's more of a perceived sweetness from El Dorado.

If it was me I'd bitter with something else and and drop the Maris Otter for Munich. But that's just me...

Back