How Much Does My 1lb Bag of Hops Weigh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kickass

Reaction score
...specifically, just the bag, not the content within.

I figured someone would readily have a tare weight for the bag and can share, allowing me to easily determine remaining hop quantity. Thanks!

53F09988-04EF-46EB-9A7F-1CC83E972D45.jpeg

I would just dump out the hops and weigh them.
That's what I was thinking too. ;)

@Kickass
You can (should?) always flush/purge the bag with CO2 (or N2 if you have it). Then squeeze as much gas out of the little opening that's left, while resealing and storing back in the freezer.

0.4 to 0.5oz is a good estimate (holds true with a lot of snack bags as well...)

Just weight the whole bag and subttact the 1 lb of hops in the bag. Assuming they did not under or over weigh the contents at the time of packaging.

well, i just have a full, still vacuumed, 1lb bag from yakima..it weighs 530.2g's on my gram scale..

that's almost 3 oz's, so i think they stoked the bag though.

Yep, it’s a partial bag and I’m trying to figure out the remaining quantity without dumping/weighing the content. I’m content estimating the bag at half an oz.

Ill be the first to admit that I probably taste based on priming and biases. So the perceptible IBU difference of being off by a 1/4 or 1/2 oz probably doesn’t change anything. But that being said, I don’t think the big guys like YV are making sure they put exactly one pound in a bag. If fact, good business practice probably dictates that they error on the side of the customer. So even an unsealed 1 pound bag (which is not my case) is probably not accurately one pound.

well, i just have a full, still vacuumed, 1lb bag from yakima..it weighs 530.2g's on my gram scale..

that's almost 3 oz's, so i think they stoked the bag though.

Thats the big guys looking out, helping you stretch your your 12 pack a few more cents. That right there builds customer loyalty.

Thats the big guys looking out, helping you stretch your your 12 pack a few more cents. That right there builds customer loyalty.

when i worked at the grocery store, the big boss, had people dump the expired juice, and milk in the drain before throwing it in the trash YVH, sells it at a discount!

You mean to say you don't keep exhaustive, detailed, thorough notes on what you weigh and use for each recipe, thereby keeping a running tally of what remains, allowing for up to the second inventory management, for recipe planning and stock repurchase? :eek: Maybe that's just an OCD dataphile thing I have...

Latest posts

Back