How much care do hops need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorEaster12

Reaction score
Alright, so I just ordered my rhizomes and they should be delived soon my question where should I plant them?

I've got two options;
1 - in planters at the house I'm renting now where I don't really have a lot of yard space and will be moving away from in august.
2 - at my parents house an hour's drive away in the ground where theyll have plenty of space and good access to sun. (my dad and/or brother can water them)

So I guess what I'm really asking is what would be best for the plants, a stable environment in the ground with minimal care or a less than ideal spot where I can constantly monitor them?

For Option #2...do your parents want to have hops FOREVER?!?!?!?

OK, its not that bad, but make sure they are aware of how big these things get and how hard they are to get rid of when you are no longer interested in them or have your own place.

I did mine in planters at my house the first year. I knew I would be doing something different with them the following year so I didnt put them in the ground. Well, last summer my parents bought a farm that just so happened to have a spare telephone pole laying around. This spring they are going out there...

So, I would suggest doing containers for the first year as they establish their root base. Take that year to get used to them and figure out what you want to do with them next year...

I would plant them in the largest pots you can find so you can take them with you in August. How much watering they will need depends on the soil you use. With store bought potting soil I had to water every other day but ones planted in some home made compost which was almost 100% organic matter I could go 2 weeks, and over watering was a major concern.

I never had any problems or concerns with over watering as the containers I used were bought from a nursery (they dont sell them unless you ask as they use them for potting trees, bushes, etc) and had holes along the sides at the bottom and the actual bottom. If I put in too much water it would just drain out the holes...

The first year I did hops I used 5 gallon buckets and left them on the driveway. They were root bound the first year. In fact, one even grew a taproot into a crack that was in the driveway!

So definitely don't go smaller than 5 gallon.

Mine in 25 gallon pots still rooted into the ground! (see gallery for pics) I dont think you can really keep all the roots in the container if you have holes in it for drainage. The roots are going to find their way out if they want to...

Latest posts

Back