How much beer is in the keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxtrot

Reaction score
Has anyone come across a device that shows the beer level in a corny keg? It would be nice to see how much is left "at a glance". I'm thinking maybe some kind of strip on the side of the keg that shows this. Usually I just lift to get a feel, but its hard to do that with the kegs in the back of the fridge...

If you leave the door on the kegger open for 5 minutes, you'll see a distinct difference in condensation (more where the beer is and less or none where there's no beer). I don't know that there's any kind of strip that would do this for you.

Yeah, that's the thing. While the keg is being chilled, the beer and keg shell is sitting at the same temp. You have to quickly warm up the keg shell for a difference to show up. The beer will quickly recool the metal that it's touching while the empty section will remain warm. I just pick the keg up and gauge the weight a bit. You can also tap on the side with a knuckle and it makes a different sound when it hits beer.

Back