How much acid malt can you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
before it start adversely affecting the flavor of a beer that's not supposed to be sour? I'm trying to figure out how to use the local water, which is extremely alkaline (HCO3 is 317 ppm, pH is 7.5). Would 1 ounce per gallon be too much? I want to use HCl to neutralize most of the alkalinity, then use sauermalz and gypsum to get the mash below 5.4 pH.

So far, I've just been using RO water and a half teaspoon each of CaCl2 and CaSO4 to about 5 gallons.

Are you using acid malt to change PH or for taste? My guiness clone calls for .25 LBS acidulated malt in 10 gallons. I'm looking for the taste.

Are you using acid malt to change PH or for taste? My guiness clone calls for .25 LBS acidulated malt in 10 gallons. I'm looking for the taste.

4oz in 10gallons will have ZERO taste impact. If you want that bit of tang, I would look into adding lactic acid

I'm looking to adjust the pH. I also know that a *little* lactic acid is appropriate in a lot of light-colored beers. My water has so much bicarbonate (and not enough calcium) it's going to take 5 ml of a strong acid (HCl) plus 5 grams of gypsum to treat 6 gallons of water, and then the mash pH will still be a little too high.

I want to under-treat the water the first time, in case my water analysis from the city is off; maybe shoot for 5.4 instead of 5.2-something, and see what I end up with. I need to buy that pH meter...

Or I can just keep buying RO water at Walmart, but I like the idea of using the local water.

I'm looking to adjust the pH. I also know that a *little* lactic acid is appropriate in a lot of light-colored beers. My water has so much bicarbonate (and not enough calcium) it's going to take 5 ml of a strong acid (HCl) plus 5 grams of gypsum to treat 6 gallons of water, and then the mash pH will still be a little too high.

I want to under-treat the water the first time, in case my water analysis from the city is off; maybe shoot for 5.4 instead of 5.2-something, and see what I end up with. I need to buy that pH meter...

Or I can just keep buying RO water at Walmart, but I like the idea of using the local water.
I like the idea of +95% of what goes into my beer not coming from Walmart

You can use at least up to 3% acid malt without any noticeable flavor impact, to hit mash ph, in my experience.

4oz in 10gallons will have ZERO taste impact. If you want that bit of tang, I would look into adding lactic acid

I like the taste I get from that level of acid malt. A little goes a long way. Perhaps our taste buds are different, or you're using a different brand of acid malt. My LHBS carries Weyermann Acidulated which is described as "containing a high level of lactic acid". What brand of acid malt do you have available?

Back