How many yeast cells in a beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hey!

I'm planning to do a few brews shortly, and I'm thinking of using bottled beer as my inocculant. I'm just wondering how many yeast cells would be in a typical beer? I was impatient and bottled early, so there's a few mm of yeast on the bottom of the bottles I'd be using...

I'll make a starter if need be, just want to avoid work if it's unnecessary.

Cheers,

Delaney.

Not only will you need to make a starter, but you will need to step it up multiple times. The yeast out of the bottom of a beer has a pretty small cell count and viability. Without a hemocytometer it will be a bit difficult to estimate the cell count.

Agreed, and without staining the viability is unknown. A typical commercial bottle conditioned beer has 1 million cells per liter. Settled slurry is about 1 billion cells per ml. A few millimeters of yeast would probably be about 20 billion cells. Viability would be another wild card. Likely 1% to 50%.

Furthermore, because of the low viable cell count the chance of non yeast taking over the fermentation is high. In every sample of yeast from a beer bottle (including some very nice commercial beers) I have looked at under the microscope I have seen mold or bacteria. If you are culturing yeast from a bottle I would recommend either isolating by plateing or acid wash the yeast once you have several billion viable cells.

My blog and my book have lots of information on this.

Hey!

I'm planning to do a few brews shortly, and I'm thinking of using bottled beer as my inocculant. I'm just wondering how many yeast cells would be in a typical beer? I was impatient and bottled early, so there's a few mm of yeast on the bottom of the bottles I'd be using...

I'll make a starter if need be, just want to avoid work if it's unnecessary.

Cheers,

Delaney.

are you harvesting yeast from a beer that you brewed or a commercial beer?

My last batch I just used rayon vert dregs. Made a 500ml starter, pitched dregs. Waited a couple days, decanted, then made a new 500ml starter. Waited a couple more days. I built up to about what looked like a vile full of yeast. Then pitched whole starter into an ipa I made.
Considering its a Brett b strain I was after, I should have built up the starter bigger.
In any regard, I had a long lag time (4 days) but have had steady vigorous fermentation since.

Back