How many paper towels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABI Brewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just thought that after brewing for a while and kegging ten gallons last night that I would like to post to see if it is severe that I go through about 1/4 of roll of paper towels everytime I brew and then again when I keg

Why not use towels that you can launder? If you use a spray and leave sanitizer (eg StarSan), there’s no need for worry that your towels are “dirty”.

What are you doing that needs the towels?

I use paper towels only for wiping the refractometer dry. So I use one or two sheets.... And a dish cloth to wipe up spills, that would only be a cup or so of wort/beer, then that goes in the laundry.

Do we want to know why TS goes though that many paper towels during a brew-session, which is often just sitting and waiting? :D

If you're spilling on the floor then just get a tray of some kind.

When I am transferring or rinsing things off and drip water on the table or the bar, and al I have for a sink is a 10x10 bar sink for a 10 gallon set up so there is not allot of space

When I am transferring or rinsing things off and drip water on the table or the bar, and al I have for a sink is a 10x10 bar sink for a 10 gallon set up so there is not allot of space

I just put a tray on the floor beneath where I''m doing most of the triclamp on/off-stuff when I re-orientate my hoses, and a jug on the table under that one point which can drip when I disconnect. Like a big tray where people put their wet shoes. It's about 180x40cm.

Trade the paper towels for dish cloths. Sop up the spills, wring it out in your 10 x 10 sink. When you finish, dry it with a dry dish cloth. Total used = 2. Put them in the laundry. And don't drip so much!

i use regular kitchen towels and always do laundry on the same day as a brew day. I do BIAB and the easiest way for me to wash the bag is to give it a rinse and throw it in the washer with the rest of the laundry

I don't use that many paper towels when brewing but I usually end up soaked from head to toe by the time I'm done.

Usually just water, not wort, at least.

I'm with @kh54s10 - paper towel wipes refractometer or hydrometer, wet towel wipes spills, dries pot after washing, dry towel for hands, everything goes in laundry that day with BIAB bag.

Hilarious...I've thought about it more than once.
Try brewing 10 gallons in your kitchen. Every drip gets a paper towel..paper towel under the airlocks I after rinse them, paper towel cleaning hop dust after measuring, paper towel drying out my brew kettle....it never ends.

I also use about 6 paper towels eating a ham sandwich so there ya go...

Same way, I use a paper towel for just about everything, and when I clean the bigger things I use a few for the buckets and carboys and laying out the smaller parts, everything gets paper towels under it, maybe I sould use a couple kitchen towels but like Nickthegreat said I almost always end up soaked

I also use cotton towels. I bought a bunch just for brewing, and they get washed. I also have some very good condition but retired bath towels I use to put on the counter to lay stuff out on, set the fermenter on, etc. They also come in handy of I have a big spill of something. I keep a towel over my shoulder at all times and switch it out of it gets too wet.....mostly for drying my hands or catching a drip.

I just thought that after brewing for a while and kegging ten gallons last night that I would like to post to see if it is severe that I go through about 1/4 of roll of paper towels everytime I brew and then again when I keg
I cant brew without them, I will use 1/4-1/3 the roll when brewing just drying my kettle I use like 6 sheets then I got to wipe the counter down god knows how many times then my carboys and of course the tile floor gets wrecked all day and gets 100 spot cleans throughout the day to keep the wife at bay so I use a lot of paper towels when I brew

Wow. Just. Wow.

Then again, I brew in my garage, so, there's that. I'm now thinking maybe I got pushed from kitchen brewing because I didn't use enough paper towels...?

I brew in a dedicated brew room and I use, on average, about 4 sheets of paper towels on any given brew day. As a rule, I do not make messes when I brew and have been doing this for a long time. Legal disclaimer, I am a neat freak....

I rarely used paper towels in the brewery as The Spousal Unit gave me a bundle of retired kitchen towels to wreak havoc upon, and she's ok with them turning up in the laundry bin. I typically go through four of them on brew days, one or two on kegging days...

Cheers!

I brew in my kitchen and use old towels and/or old washcloths. I keep a towel on the floor to swipe up spills with my foot and have another towel handy just in case something major happens. I rarely use paper towels during a brew day.

When I mashed in the house due to the cold outside I was good for a few paper towels each brew day but mostly used retired kitchen towels or even retired white undershirts that I laundered separately. On the more frequent than I would like days that I forgot to close a valve, I was good for a roll per brew day.

Back