How many ounces of fresh Basil would you put in an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KonureKing

Reaction score
Hello, I like using hop alternatives with things I can grow myself, for freshness and financial reasons. I still use hops for bittering but usually use alternatives for flavor and aroma. I usually use pine and various fruits and flowers but I want to add basil into my rotation. I'm wondering how many ounces of fresh basil would do well in a Rye IPA. I like bold flavors.

Hello, I like using hop alternatives with things I can grow myself, for freshness and financial reasons. I still use hops for bittering but usually use alternatives for flavor and aroma. I usually use pine and various fruits and flowers but I want to add basil into my rotation. I'm wondering how many ounces of fresh basil would do well in a Rye IPA. I like bold flavors.
I’ve never used basil but you may want to research Grut beers or saison to see how much people are using. A quick search came up with this Scratch Brewing’s Basil Ale Recipe

My advice is that you should buy some cheap neutral beer like Bud light and try the basil with it. I did the same with a basil tincture that I made. My conclusion? Undrinkable at any concentration 😀

I love basil, even grow it, but not in beer. I once had a locally brewed basil and cucumber saison. Awful. Undrinkable.

I agree, do glass-level experimentation before possibly murdering a keg of beer...

Cheers!

FWIW I did a couple fresh herb wheats several years back. One I added .4 oz of fresh sage which turned out well. Another was .3 oz total of fresh parsley, rosemary and sage with two hot peppers. Don't really remember how well it turned out but would remember if was bad. The only herb I have left is rosemary and might try a rosemary wheat by adding .3 oz. If I had fresh basil I'd try it too.

Back