How many Extract batches before All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

190Shilling

Reaction score
How long did you extract brew before switching to all grain, either in number of batches or number of years?

I ask this becasue the topic came up in a conversation with wifey about my brewing endeavors. You see, I have been extract brewing for 16 years. I dare say I have the process about as perfected as I need it to be and I am constantly building new tools or upgrading equipment. I have often thought of switching to all grain, but have never really been motivated to take that step.....until now. So, I thought I'd poll the masses to help arm myself for the forthcoming conversation about why I need to spend more money and take up more space for brewing.

I basically need to confirm my comment to my wife that I am the ONLY person in the country who has extract brewed for 16 years without switching to all grain.

I am also a DIY'er and have no idea how to take small steps.

Thank you in advance.

I did two extract batches before going all grain and i wont go back to extract again..

I'm personally going to go against convention and hit the all-grain bandwagon as soon as I can afford the proper equipment for it. Right now, I'm just brewing from beer kits and investing in kegging and fermenting gear.

I dare say if you'd spent the small amount of money for all grain equipment 10 years ago...you could have saved a small fortune compared to what you spent on extract those years.

This of course assumes you brew on a consistent basis and keep a running pipeline of assorted beers at the ready.

As for me...I went four extracts over four back-to-back weekends before going all grain.

I dare say if you'd spent the small amount of money for all grain equipment 10 years ago...you could have saved a small fortune compared to what you spent on extract those years.

This of course assumes you brew on a consistent basis and keep a running pipeline of assorted beers at the ready.

As for me...I went four extracts over four back-to-back weekends before going all grain.

VERY True. I did not brew all that frequently until the past year, so that is why I am working ont he switch.

I did like 5 extract/partial (over 4 years) before getting the bug for a Belgium Triple 1.5 years ago. The only recipe I found at the time was for all grain. I switched to all grain to make that beer. Since then have made about 12 different beers and 70 gallons.

I dove in head first. never done an extract or a partial mash. my first bacth was all grain and every batch since has been too. no desire to do extract. Its all grain all the time for me

Since I'm still new to homebrewing, I'm taking a hands-on class locally in January. After that, I'll understand what's involved, but I don't anticipate going all grain for a while.

After one extract i switched to all grain. To me brewing with extract feels like making dunkin heinz brownies from a mix, just add and stir. i did not feel in control of my brewing and my beer.

I did an extract, then a partial mash, then all grain.

I brew in the kitchen and can only manage half-batches with all grain, or 5.5gal partial mashes. I won't do straight extract anymore. I agree with the Duncan Hines comment.

Between July 31 when I started till October 31 when I made my first AG, I brewed 9 extract lits. I wanted to give myself a chance to try different styles and see what I liked. Since Oct I have brewed 8 AG batches, as well as have 4 planned over the next 13 days....

I brewed probably 4 partial mash kits in the span of 2 months (or extract with steeping grain) then moved to all grain. I figured for a tiny bit more equipment cost (a cooler and manifold, already was using a turkey fryer and full boil) I could get the full experience.

two partial mashes and about six months. Took that long to gather the gear for all grain. Luckily I've got a cousin that donated advice, a new belgium barrel with top already cut out, and extra carboy. i was most of the way to all grain. I've found the quality of the beer you can make with all grain is worth the investment.

I did 8 extract batches and 4 partial mashes before I moved to all grain. From my first extract batch to my first all grain batch was about 10 months.

I brewed two extract kits and then went partial mash for three years - finally went AG last January and won't go back. The only extract I may use now is if I want to make a bigger beer than my mash tun can handle - barleywine or doppelbock or the like. Even then I may just break down and get a bigger MLT.

I did 10-12 extract batches over about 1 year before switching. Still learning on the All-Grain side and each batch seems to get better and better. Yeast ranching, doing 13.5 gal batches, building ferm chambers, using pumps... ever changing/evolving my set-up. I'm a tinkerer and kit collector, so this hobby is like cocaine.

I did 7 extract batches before going all grain. My first two all grainers were kits. After that I just bought my ingredients in bulk and designed my own recipes from then on. Going all grain was easy for me as I already had an 8g pot, propane burner and a immersion chiller so all I really needed was a mash/lauter tun which I made from a picnic cooler and a SS braid. It was easy and saved me lots and lots of money over extract kits. Go for it and good luck.

I did two extract batches.

Yesterday I bought some extract for starters and forgot how expensive that stuff is... $15 for 3 pounds is crazy!

11 Extract, 1 Partial Mash, and then I did 4, 10 gallon all grain batches. I'm still in my first year of brewing, but I know it'll be all grain from here on out.

Thank you for your replies. Your answers were compiled and presented during dinner. Committee was in a good mood and I have preliminary approval. This is a great opportunity for me to make more cool stuff. Thank you everyone for helping me confirm that I am WAY overdue for this.

I did extract for about 2 years-ish. I knew I wanted to go to all grain but it initially scared me so I stuck with extract for a while but then started slowly building my all grain equipment. that took a little while being a starving college student but now that I'm doing all grain my beers have gotten much better (more due to control of process, fermentation temperature control, and fresher ingredients than using grain over extract).

I was just looking over my notes and I did 18 extract batches in a little over a year. Man, I didn't think I did that many. I wish I went to AG much earlier.

I had done some minor brewing during college (brew in a can as it were), didn't touch it until out of college. So my count starts at when I really go into brewing and tried to understand it.

I did 3 or 4 extract/steep batches before I went all grain. I thought it was more, but apparently it wasn't. They were great beers, and I still make some extract/steep brews (when brewing with my friend or father-in-law), but if I can afford the extra time I prefer doing the all-grain thing. Is a lot of fun, and I feel like I am a lot more involved the the actual creation of the brew.

I've done 6 extract batches (with one more still to be brewed) over the last year. I want to go AG and I've gotten the green light from the SWMBO. I'm actually a little intimidated by it. I feel like I could read every piece of literature out there but I would have to help someone with an AG brew day to really get the process. Only problem is I really only KNOW 1 other brewer and he only does extract. The nearest HBS is 2 hours away.

Sorry if that was a slight hijack.

I have done under/close to a dozen extract batches and I'm working on getting all-grain equipment going. Just struggling to get the equipment ready! I feel that all-grain will give me much more flexibility on customizing my brews :)

I did 3 or 4 extract batches over about a 2 month span, then did 2 partial mashes in the next month, then started doing all grain. The biggest hurdle for me was just learning all of the terminology. The practice of brewing all grain really isn't that difficult.

I did two extract batches over a 6 week period then did one partial mash and have done only all grain since. (except for Brandon O's graff cider)

I have never brewed an extract batch, I jumped into brewing by going all-grain, I have also never bottle conditioned a beer, I have kegged from that first batch also, I do bottle a few to give to friends or to stash away using Biermunchers method. I guess I missed a few learning steps along the way....

I did five extract batches starting in july, I was instantly hooked on brewing. My third batch I started kegging, using this site as a guide to set up a mini fridge as my kegerator, from there I slowly started putting together my all grain setup. I now have brewed three all grain batches. My first was kind of a dud, cream ale, was more of a light IPA. Third is still in the primary, but my second was the best beer i've brewed, a porter. Have fun with the all grain, or however you decide to brew. This is by far the best hobby i've ever gotten into.:mug:

Back