How many days before dry hop??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuNchBoX1371

Reaction score
Hey i got an IPA in the fermenter and i was goin to dry hop after a week and then dry hop for 7 days im just wondering if thats the right way to dry hop?

You want to make sure primary fermentation is complete. That way the aroma isn't lost in the escaping CO2. I usually wait at least a week maybe two before dry hopping for 7-10 days. I have dry hopped as soon as 4 days in the primary with good results though I was rushing that beer. After 1 week, should be fine.

I did mine at 7 days when transferred from bucket to carboy I will go maybe another 3 days , dry hops is mostly for aroma,

Edit: two people beat me to it but I'll leave my 2 cents.

You'll get a lot of varying opinions on when and how long to dry hop. The only thing I would tell you is to wait until fermentation is all but complete. Basically don't add the hops until the krausen has went back down and there's very little activity.

I've read everywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks for dry hopping prior to packaging. But I don't see 7 days being an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I make sure the beer is finished fermenting and mostly clear before I dry hop. At least 2 weeks but I usually let them go a month before dropping the hops in. 7 days is good for your dry hop duration.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Home Brew mobile app

I usually wait 10 days before I add the hops. I was told a while ago and recently heard a podcast (brew strong) that letting the yeast drop helps enhance the hop aroma.
7 days for the dry hopping is a good time. Anywhere from 5-7 days will give you good results.

I go 2 weeks of fermenting, and then toss in the hops for a week. Keg at week 3 and then drink at week 4. Got Black IPA following that schedule right now :rockin:

I've found that it's a good idea for peak aroma to wait until the beer's at FG & has settled out clear or slightly misty,then dry hop one week. If you don't wait for it to clear,the hop oils will coat the settling yeast cells & go to the bottom. You want the hop oils to stay in suspension for good aroma. Some folks think dry hopping adds to the flavor as well. But that's only because our sense of smell is linked to our sense of taste through the roof of the mouth. That's why dry hopping works so well. It's perfectly linked to both of those senses.

Ok cool thank you guys for your responses and im goin to do what i was planning and dry hop after a week; but thank you again for all the help.

Latest posts

Back