How Many Batches Have You Brewed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewpastor said:
I have been brewing for over 25 years and don't have any idea my current patch count. It would easily be 250, not counting the commercial brewing which would be at least in the range of 1000 batches.

Me too although, I have never brewed comercially. I only have 11 brews brewed since Jan, 1 so far, plus one wine.

I think I am on #40 since aug'05. I was brewing twice a week when I could (until I started making Belgians) and winter was nice in Florida cause I could have carboys in the house @70 degrees. I think I went over the 200 gals last year as most of them were 10 gal batches, but my neighbors don't complain. I won a few medals for my beers so atleast I am not doing a bad job, plus I have had people have offered me cash if I brew them a batch.....tempting...

I read everything I could for like 6 months as I was piecing together my equipment, I got a leg up I suppose....I got a closet full of beer and don't have to worry about having to buy beer.:mug:

Ive got batches 17 and 18 in secondaries right now, at 5 gallons per batch that puts me at 90 gallons. I have been brewing for just over a year, so if anyones counting I am well under the limit.

-magno

I have been brewing for 11 years and I have never kept track of how many batches I've brewed. I have brewed just over 100 gallons so far this year but I only have 55 gallons in stock, I have no idea where it all goes....:drunk:

I should have all 30 of my kegs filled by August or September if I can keep the trolls away from the taps....

Hi Ya all

The way I figure it, We are allowed 100 gallons a year, 200 if you have a wife (or significant living with ya).
Ok, I brew 100 gallons, I use a 5 gal fermenter, a 6.5 gallon secondary, I have 2 of both..so the MOST I'm brewing at one time is 20 gallons (2 in Primary, 2 in secondary).
IF the cops show up. ALL I have is 20 gallons total! :)
If I had a 50-500 gallon fermenter/secondary I would be in TROUBLE!
SO the idea is to brew SMALL batches, 5-10 gallons at a time.
As long as your NOT selling, the cops WILL leave ya alone!
So the idea is to makes LOTS of beer and DO NOT SELL!!!!

My 2 cents worth :mug:

Clayton79

Clayton79 said:
Hi Ya all

The way I figure it, We are allowed 100 gallons a year, 200 if you have a wife (or significant living with ya).
Ok, I brew 100 gallons, I use a 5 gal fermenter, a 6.5 gallon secondary, I have 2 of both..so the MOST I'm brewing at one time is 20 gallons (2 in Primary, 2 in secondary).
IF the cops show up. ALL I have is 20 gallons total! :)
If I had a 50-500 gallon fermenter/secondary I would be in TROUBLE!
SO the idea is to brew SMALL batches, 5-10 gallons at a time.
As long as your NOT selling, the cops WILL leave ya alone!
So the idea is to makes LOTS of beer and DO NOT SELL!!!!

My 2 cents worth :mug:

Clayton79

Most of my neighbors are cops and they drink my beer. They don't even know the laws on homebrewing so I had to tell them. I think having more than 200 gallons isn't a problem as long as you are not selling it. Im sure if the ATF raided my house they would definately be concerned with my fermentation chamber....

Bigfridge3.jpg

That's a cool pic. How much can you do at a time in there? I'm jealous. :D And, welcome from a fellow Southern Californian.

Been brewing since last Spring and just did batch #8 this week while the wife and kids were out of town. Luckily, wife loves a good beer so she's as happy about me brewing as I am. Well, almost.

Brewsmith said:
That's a cool pic. How much can you do at a time in there? I'm jealous. :D And, welcome from a fellow Southern Californian.

Each one of my fermenters holds 25 gallons. I have 2 for primary and 1 for secondary which allows me to do double batches.

Dude said:
I can't begin to imagine going through that much beer. :mug:

I have a lot of friends and I keep getting more when they find out I have beer. :mug:

I do a lot of group brews also so between 5 people everyone gets 5 gallons. If there is only 2 people we brew 20 gallons and by myself I brew 15 gallons, depending on the style. I just brewed 25 gallons of Belgian Dubble so I can store some for a year and take some to beer festivals. Its nice to have that kind of flexibility but I just can't brew anything under 10 gallons.

Caplan said:
It's immaterial isn't it? I don't really believe anyone could prove you've brewed more than your 'legal' limit unless you happen to have over 200 gallons (that would be 381 half litre bottles) in your Garage at once! And if you did don't ask me to help you bottle it - start kegging!;)

Even if you had 300 gallons in your garage when the authorities came knocking, they would have to prove that you brewed it all within a single year. You could just look at them and say, THIS 100 gallons is from 2004, THIS 100 is from 2005, etc.

It's basically an uninforceable law.

I started brewing in May 1978 and have kept at it as steadily as I could since then. I summarized the first few brews on an index card and then did a card with the recipe and other details for every batch since #6. For that I used a German lager yeast, a step up from the generic yeast included under the lid of the Blue Ribbon malt extract can. I recreated that batch for batch #500 in the late 90's, even down to the same 8-gallon crock, and the flavor bought back many memories of such batches. I've done everything from those primitive extract brews to ten-gallon all-grains, probably around 5,000 gallons, and almost all of it was good to real good. I got married in 2005 and that has slowed me down some. I'll be brewing #673 tomorrow, 9/16/2013. It will be a Kentucky Common Ale with Belle Saison yeast. Looking forward to brewing #1,000 in about 17 years when I'm 78 years old.

Back