How long will wine keep in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12stepCornelius

Reaction score
Hi! New member here. I started a homemade wine in late January of this year, 2012. More of a ghetto approach seeing as how I have no pro equipment. 1.89 L of Welch's red grape juice, around a packet of baker's yeast, and 2 cups of sugar. I let it primary ferment for 2 weeks. I then racked it 2/15 to a clean jug and after a day or so, fermentation stopped. I let it mellow out 2 weeks and bottled it Tuesday 2/28 and stuck the bottles in the fridge. Was planning on drinking it this weekend but between then and now was put on antibiotics for a while for a sinus infection. So no drinking. I did taste a smidge of it in a glass and wow was it strong! Kind of sweet with a bit of a yeasty taste, but nonetheless surprisingly very good. Anyway, how long could it stay in the fridge without turning to vinegar? Could it lose some flavor being in the fridge for a week or 2? I don't want to take it back out and expose it to too much temperature fluctuation. Not sure what that would do to the flavor either. So will it keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge? Again, its a red wine (or I guess hooch given the short time it "aged"). Thanks!

How long is a piece string?
So long as it doesn't have a lot of headroom in the bottle and the bottles are sanitary, oh, and there is a good seal on the cap, I would say a good couple of years or more.

I think your infection will have cleared by then.

A little interesting fact. Alcohol actually has very little effect on the effectiveness of antibiotics. Food for thought :)

Dicky

Huh. Lol I will definitely keep that thought. I may just keep it in the fridge then for a little while longer to see if the flavor improves even more. One of the bottles was only half way filled. And that was the bottle I opened back up and poured a taste from. Will that one maybe degrade into vinegar?

If it's in the fridge, it'll probably take a while longer.

Just think of it as a bottle of wine you opened, drank half of an inexplicably put in the fridge. It'll last a few days.

Also, taking the full bottle out won't really do much. Just keep it out of the sun and damp, and somewhere around room temperature.

Hope your sinuses better soon. Having allergies I know how you feel.

Dicky

Back