How long will carbed keg last off gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shepbrew

Reaction score
My pipeline is getting pretty full and in order to brew again I need to get something out of the keezer. Everything in there is great so won't dump any, but there is a brew that's getting less love than others and is taking a while to empty.

My plan is to take this (about 3/4 full keg) out and use the space for something new. Couple questions:

1. This beer is fully carbed, how long should it last off gas (assuming a good seal) stored at around 67 ambient? I'm hoping it won't be off gas for much longer than a month or two but who knows?

2. When putting back in the keezer would I need to give it time to re-carb to serving pressure given that it was already fully carbed well for a few weeks before coming out or will just letting it cool back down to serving temps be good enough?

It is an amber with only moderate hops so not too worried about loss of hop flavour.

Anything I am not considering?

Thanks!

1) Forever... A keg is the best place to store your beer....No light, and co2 to protect it. Keep it cool, and it will be fine. I've just put a beer back in the keezer I think I pulled off to switch with something else before my house fire 3 years ago, it got shuffled in the move back then and unlabeled and forgotten and it was fine.

2) If it wasn't degassed it will still have carbonation.

As to hop flavor, and Randall is a good thing to make for situations like this, you can run any beer through a nice bed of hops when serving to give it some hoppy freshness.

Latest posts

Back