How long to ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad26

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting an imperial stout with an OG of 1.094. The yeast is pretty active and I was just curious how long big beers usually take to ferment. Thanks!

Holy high gravity! 1.094? That is awesome! I've never done anything close to that high... so I'm sorry to say I can't really answer your question. But I just wanted to say job well done!:tank:

Oh, how much yeast did you pitch? I'd imagine you'd have to use a pretty large starter, or pitch a couple packages without a starter.

It's the highest I've ever done, so I'm pretty excited about it haha. Used a yeast starter and a couple of packages.

I brewed one earlier this year... I left it in the fermenter for about 3 and a half weeks...

Probably one to two weeks of active fermentation, depending on pitching rate, temperature, yeast strain, etc. Then I'd leave it in the fermenter for two weeks to a month after active fermentation stops.

I just brewed a 1.106 imperial stout a couple weeks ago. It fermented out and hit its target FG in about 5 days. I plan on leaving it in the primary for about a month before kegging it to bulk age until about Christmas.

Back