how long to do an AG batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
Just curious to those doing all grain batches, how long does it take you normally?

I searched and couldn't find find anything revelavant (guess "long" and "time" are too generic). I was just curious cause I have 2 AG batches done now, and each took about 4-4.5 hours (batch sparging, using a cooler setup).

I thought it would take longer than when I did partial mash, however it feels shorter! I guess with new equipment (propane burner and wort chiller), the to boil and chill times are significantly reduced over the stovetop/ice bath method, which balances out the 60-90 minutes of mashing.

Curious to what it takes other brewers, and how different methods (fly sparging, HERMS, etc.) affects time.

:D

From the time I start to take out my gear to having it all cleaned up, dried, and put away, it usually takes about 5 hours.

4-5 hours is the norm for me. I also use the mash and boil waiting for bottling so I can get a ridiculous amount of beer stuff done in those 5 hours.

it takes me around 4 hours but i feel like i am running around alot i still need to get my sistem locked down thought. It seems like every time i think i have it figured out it is time for a new upgrade:D

My first time around it took me about 5 1/2 hours. As you get more batches under your belt, you will become more efficient and will start to cut the time down. I am now consistently doing batches is 4 1/2 hours including cleanup...but that is only if I dedicate every minute to the process. I tend to get a little distracted though.

If you brew in the morning, it always helps to get everything organized the night before...

Get equipment cleaned and organized
Weigh/separate your hops and additives (I have small tupperware containers with 5 minute intervals written on them)
Crush your grains (if you have a crusher)
If using software like Beersmith, print out your BrewSheet the night before and review
Clean as you go​

You can take it one step further if you are an electric brewer...fill your HLT and put a timer inline to start heating your strike water before even get out of bed. :)

John

Usually 4-4.5 hours from setup to put stuff away.
The night before I confirm recipe stuff such as water volumes and measure out my water and treat it with campden.
Also organize brew equipment.
Brew day I wake up, make coffee and get my strike water heating.
As strike is going, I crush grains and get that ready.
Clean as you go.

Dang, that's pretty good for your first couple AG batches. I started out taking about 6 hours from setup to cleanup and it took about 8 batches until I got my system down. Now it's about 4.5

This past Sat I did my first AG batch.

I turned the knob of the stove at 3:15 and had everything cleaned up at put away a few min past 9; so just under 6 hours.

I'm sure that once I get used to the equipment and am not trying to make dinner and get the kids to bed, I can probably shave 45 min off that time.

Dang, that's pretty good for your first couple AG batches.

That's Just what I was thinking! My first AG's were over 6 hours. Now it's about 4 and a half plus or minus—depending on how long I'm letting the boil go and how much mess there is in the kitchen. I had a bit of craziness from an...incident...in which the drainage tube from the lauter tun came disconnected and 160 degree wort started jetting onto my stomach and leg. That added like an hour between trying to fix the hosiery—I stood there for a few minutes like a demented version of the little Dutch boy, my finger in the red hot dike—and cleaning up.

Back