how long to condition in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew300

Reaction score
i just kegged my first 2 batches of beer. the first one was a light ale and the other was a vanilla porter. both were in the primary/secondary for 4-5 weeks and they tasted pretty good before i put them in the keg. they have been cooled and on pressure for almost a week and both tasted really bad when i sampled them. is this normal or do you think i did something wrong?

The first pint or two is gonna have all the crap that settled out. Usually after about a week in the keg mine are good to go, just draw off a glass before you start drinking to get rid of the sediment.

it didnt really have sediment, it just tasted bad. im hoping that after i get a couple glasses out of there it will be okay.

right or wrong, i've gotten to where i just sip to confirm and then end up dumping the first two pints off the bat from a new keg. all kinds of stuff settles, whether necessarily visible or not. my limited experience has given to dumping those first two, then things begin to settle into consistency.

ok, well i think that is what happened because it tasted awesome a few days ago, but that was from the top of the fermenter, not the bottom. i will pull off a little more tonight and hopefully it will be good. to be honest, i do not even know what it tasted like, but it made me want to gag.

Back