How long to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewnoob

Reaction score
Hey everyone this is the first time I've bottled my cider so unsure of the time it takes to carb up. O.G was 1.070 and F.G was 1.000 I bottled into 750ml beer bottles with 1teaspoon of priming sugar. I then capped and placed them in my water closet which sits between 21-25°c.
Any ideas of how long I need to leave them there for a good carbonation? Also once I move from there do I leave them in a cooler dark place or straight to the fridge?
Sorry if this has already been answered, any knowledge would be greatly appreciated :)
Cheers!

My ciders usually take 3-4 week for full carbonation but that's conditioning at about 55-65 somewhere in tgere

Abrew, I did the same thing with my cider. original gravity was 1.068 fermented to 1.000. Then bottled in 750ml. But I am worried abt bombs; being new; and also aint ready to try pasturizing. I only used half a teaspoon. After 2 1/2 wks I tried one bottle. No carb hardly at all. I see you used 1 teas. How's that working? Did you use just white sugar? My next batch I was thinking of upping the sugar per bottle. Half teas was abt 2.5 grams. I planned on doing 3.5gr per 750ml. Not sure how well it'll do.

Abrew, I did the same thing with my cider. original gravity was 1.068 fermented to 1.000. Then bottled in 750ml. But I am worried abt bombs; being new; and also aint ready to try pasturizing. I only used half a teaspoon. After 2 1/2 wks I tried one bottle. No carb hardly at all. I see you used 1 teas. How's that working? Did you use just white sugar? My next batch I was thinking of upping the sugar per bottle. Half teas was abt 2.5 grams. I planned on doing 3.5gr per 750ml. Not sure how well it'll do.

Well my worries about bottle bombs have some what subsided . I've opened a couple bottles after about 2 1\2 weeks and the carbonation is great! Could be a bit more but hopefully another week or so will help that. Half a teaspoon might not be enough. Then again it might be fine,just have to wait longer. But in future your fine with a teaspoon, no bottle bombs here.
Also what temp are your bottles sitting at?

I'll have to weigh the full teas and see what that is. half of white sugar is approx 2.5grams. When I bottle them I am only doing 1 gal so after the first racking off the Lees leaving a bit on top etc, etc but what I'm left with in the end is probably a bit over four 750ml so I just do four. But what I did is bottle then place all four in a 5 gal plastic bucket in case they would bust. They sit upstairs for 2 wks. So 66-68f. Then I moved them to the basement which is more like 56-60.

Back