How long till hops break ground?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sittingturbo

Reaction score
I got my rhizomes a while back and they have been in the ground for 2-3 weeks, and have not broke ground yet. I was sure they would sprout by now, so now I am afraid I killed them.

I am not sure what I was thinking, but I tossed them in the freezer for about 1-2 hours instead of the fridge when I got them, don't ask why, but I did.

I didn't figure that would hurt them all that much, since they grow in freezing temps like Washington.

I got them from freshhops.com

How long did they take to break ground for everyone?

I planted mine over a month and a half ago...

I have 7/10 up at least 4" to 5'

I just saw the 8th break ground yesterday

Sprouting times vary, even for established plants. My Northern Brewer just broke ground last week and it's three years old. The Fuggles & Cascades have been up for 6 weeks.

I have 2 that I planted about 1 month ago, a Chinook that is about 5 inches and a Cascade that isn't doing anything, so I'm gonna let them go and hopefully the Cascade will break through. Guess it just varies on the temp, soil conditions and the plant.

I've got 8 plants and 7 of them sprouted 3 or 4 weeks ago. The 8th one just sprouted yesterday. I have no idea why it took so long, but I would keep watering them if I were you.

I have 2 that I planted about 1 month ago, a Chinook that is about 5 inches and a Cascade that isn't doing anything, so I'm gonna let them go and hopefully the Cascade will break through. Guess it just varies on the temp, soil conditions and the plant.

I just dug them up today to check them, and luckily to my surprise all of them except the cascade were growing, I really expected the cascade to rock, but whatever.

My Williamette was rocking with like 15 shoots, so I replanted with all potting soil, they were in clay which might have accounted for the bad growth. So now I am hoping they will sprout withing a week.

Yeah 3 of the 4 hops already broke ground. I am so happy. The Willamette has 15 shoots!

How many shoots is everyone cutting back to for first year hops? 2 or 3 ? I am assuming, the less the shoot, the more root growth, and possibly some hop cones?

As a rule I don't prune for the first year. BUT, here in MI we generally don't get that kind of growth out of our babies. The last of my rhizomes that I planted this year just broke ground on Sunday, four weeks after planting. I only get that number of bines pushing through out of my four year old cascade. Still, I would let them all grow as the root system is developing this year and it needs all of the leaves it can get to fuel the below ground growth. I would not sacrifice the long-term development of roots for a harvest this year. With that kind of growth you may end up with a small amount of harvest this year anyway.

It looks like my second Saaz has finally broken ground, some 5 weeks after planting. I now feel kinda bad about digging up the Crystal that didn't sprout, but I did have some reason in doing so (see bindweed thread), and I didn't see any evidence of growth. There appeared to be some rotting, so I cut off that part and replanted it, just in case.

All three of mine finally sprouted over the weekend! Now 2 of them are 3 inches tall, the other just poking out. I guess thats about 3 weeks for mine to come in. :ban:

Put 40 plants in the ground May 18, checked on them yesterday and 6 of the 40 are coming through. 0 cascades, 3 willamette, 1 centennial, 2 chinook.

Freshhops in Philomath, Or. They sat in the fridge for about a month, waiting for the snow to leave, but they all had some form of growth when I planted them. Most had shoots forming, some just white bumps.

Mine have been in the ground for about a week or so. 3 out of 15 are now showing some green above the dirt. Those had bines starting on them when I got them so I hope the rest hurry up. lol

Also got my praying mantis egg sack in the mail today. Those little buggers should keep the aphids etc off them. :D

Costco online in Canada had some, I've heard homedeopt often carries them and if you do a search for Praying Mantis Pest Control, you should find some sites.

Here's one I found online. From doing a few searches I think Costoc over charged me big time. http://www.buglogical.com/prayingMantis_control_aphids/prayingMantis.asp

that is awesome...I liked this part from the link

"it is difficult to know hatching has occured unless the elusive, well camouflaged young are found"

I've already seen ladybugs around my hop plants, but haven't seen any praying mantis yet, which started showing up in my yard a couple years ago. I tell you what, those things are freaky. It's a little unnerving when an insect turns its head and looks at you.

some of mine took upwards of six weeks to break through. it's been unusually cold here this spring.

i'll have to see if i can get a refund on my carbon credit. :drunk:

some of mine took upwards of six weeks to break through. it's been unusually cold here this spring.

i'll have to see if i can get a refund on my carbon credit. :drunk:

Damn, I had 3 planted, and thought 3 came up but one didnt after all, the little sprout I thought I saw is gone. I guess it gave up on live and went to hop heaven. :cross:

Latest posts

Back