How long should a Hef be good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soupfist

Reaction score
Back in November I made a very simple Hefeweizen: 68% wheat to 29% Pilsner, 3% acidulated, Wyeast 3068 @ 63DF. Within a week of bottling this, I was convinced it was the best beer I'd ever made - I totally nailed the clove/banana balance and it had a mild tartness left over from the acidulated malt that gave it a nice refreshing flavor.

By week 2, the beer kind of "meh'd out." It completely lost the tartness and slowly started losing the clove notes. It's been a little more than a month now since bottling, and the beer's still drinkable, but it's taken the characteristic of a weak banana flavored soda. :drunk:

I know from reading that Hefs, unlike most other styles of beer, are better fresh and don't benefit from aging. I just wasn't expecting the decline to be that quick and that steep. Is this typical? If not does anyone have some tips or techniques I can employ to lengthen the beer's "good life?"

That is a quick decline in flavor. The Hefes' I brewed held the clove flavor well for three months. Is your Hefe getting darker in color, indicating a possible problem with oxidation?

That is a quick decline in flavor. The Hefes' I brewed held the clove flavor well for three months. Is your Hefe getting darker in color, indicating a possible problem with oxidation?

Not noticeably, but I don't really keep notes on color so it's possible.

I agree with flars. Sounds like an oxidation problem as a completely "closed system" shouldn't be losing its characteristics. I've heard some of the starter kit cappers don't clamp the caps enough... I'm assuming they are standard amber bottles/not twist-off.

I kegged a Hefe back in September that still holds its clove flavor. While its not nearly as good now as it was back then, it's still drinkable.

Back