How long is too long to dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordancwilk

Reaction score
I have an American ale that has been dry hopping for 8 days, and I plan to bottle tomorrow. Is this too long or just right to dry hop?

The only other batch I have dry hopped was a dead ringer ipa extract kit that I let sit for 16 days with the hops. It tasted terrible after 2 weeks in the bottle and I'm wondering if the long dry hop had anything to do with it. Hoping the taste improves as it sits in bottles.
How long is too long to dry hop?

What temperature was the beer?

I dry hop at 68°F for five days then commence cold-crashing to avoid pushing into the grassy character realm.
Otoh, I keg hop in the keezer in the high 30s and leave the hops in 'til the keg kicks - occasionally that's run a whole month - and never pick up any veggie notes there, either.

So the temperature is probably Factor One to consider...

Cheers!

Temp for the American ale has been 66-68 the whole time. The IPA that tasted strange was slightly cooler, around 65.

I don't have space to cold crash. Is that a problem?

How long is to long for dry hopping may depend upon the hops used. I've only dry hopped a few times. All these times were with Centennial. Dry hopping was for seven days. Just happened to be Dead Ringer.

Some go as short as three days as the max and dry hopping in a keg will go until the keg is finished.

Your Dead Ringer may have not tasted to good, not because of the hops, but time in the bottle. My DRs don't achieve the best taste until they have conditioned for four to five weeks at 68°F. Heavy and sweet caramel flavor before that.

How long is to long for dry hopping may depend upon the hops used. I've only dry hopped a few times. All these times were with Centennial. Dry hopping was for seven days. Just happened to be Dead Ringer.

Some go as short as three days as the max and dry hopping in a keg will go until the keg is finished.

Your Dead Ringer may have not tasted to good, not because of the hops, but time in the bottle. My DRs don't achieve the best taste until they have conditioned for four to five weeks at 68°F. Heavy and sweet caramel flavor before that.

Just looked back through my notes and read this from when I tasted the DR: "Tasted after 3 weeks in bottles. Almost no carbonation, shook bottles to stir things up. Tastes: maybe astringent, alcohol, malty, and a little metallic. Not pleasant tasting so far. Bitter, but hops taste was not clear."

Thinking I may have other problems as well...

Back