How long is too long on in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oilcan

Reaction score
If I left a Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome 5 weeks on the primary would that cause me problems. I'm trying to juggle my free time, but I don't want to ruin the beer.

If I left a Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome 5 weeks on the primary would that cause me problems. I'm trying to juggle my free time, but I don't want to ruin the beer.

There are several people on this site who have left there beer in the primary for that long with no adverse effects...I however choose to follow Palmers recommendation and not leave a beer for long than 3 weeks.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter8-2-3.html

You'll get as many answers as brewers... but if this is a logistics issue rather than a preference, I think the vast majority would concur that you'll be alright. There are many who will tell you this is better for your beer; there are some who will tell you it could potentially develop some off-flavors by 5 weeks -- but I think very few even in the latter category would argue that it would totally ruin your beer.

There are several people on this site who have left there beer in the primary for that long with no adverse effects...I however choose to follow Palmers recommendation and not leave a beer for long than 3 weeks.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter8-2-3.html

FYI, Palmer is much more circumspect about this in the 3rd edition. I don't have it with me, so I can't quote it exactly... but I am pretty sure that "secondary fermentation is beneficial to nearly all beer styles" does not appear in the latest print edition.

If the beer is somewhere the temperature is fairly stable and not too warm you will be fine. Keep in mind though that the flavors are changing. You might like the flavors from a longer primary, or you might not. The differences are not huge, but you can tell the difference, more so in lighter beers though. This might be a good time to try the longer version and see if you like it.

FYI, Palmer is much more circumspect about this in the 3rd edition. I don't have it with me, so I can't quote it exactly... but I am pretty sure that "secondary fermentation is beneficial to nearly all beer styles" does not appear in the latest print edition.

IIRC, on an episode of the Basic Brewing podcast he talked about longer primaries and said that while he still prefers his suggested method, common wisdom is changing and it doesn't appear longer primaries do any harm at homebrewing levels.

I thought the stock answer here was to primary for 6 months so the yeast will clean up after themselves and make awesome beer? ;)

_

IIRC, on an episode of the Basic Brewing podcast he talked about longer primaries and said that while he still prefers his suggested method, common wisdom is changing and it doesn't appear longer primaries do any harm at homebrewing levels.

I've heard that, but I haven't listened to it myself and wouldn't have remembered the exact substance of the quote anyway.

In any case, characterizing a short primary followed by a secondary as "Palmer's recommendation" is a bit strong now -- he no longer really "recommends" either for or against that.

I never have agreed with Palmer about every beer needing a secondary...but I do agree with a 3 week primary, my reason being that I have never seen an improvement in my beers beyond that point sitting on trub.

I thought the stock answer here was to primary for 6 months so the yeast will clean up after themselves and make awesome beer? ;)

_

I don't think it's as much "stock" as much as it is one person spouting off the same advice ad nauseum that the general fora starts to regurgitate it verbatim just for the sake of not having to hear him spout it, present singular incidents that happened to him which demonstrates it and potentially create a flow chart to support it.

Thanks all for the replies, I will try to bottle sooner but I feel better about leaving it for 5 weeks if I "have" to. Hopefully I will be able to obtain the coveted "kitchen pass" and be able to side step a family reunion and bottle at the 4 week mark. Thanks again for the all the replies..great site!

In the updated print version, he states "I will say that I routinely leave my beer in the primary for three to four weeks, due to lack of time, clean bottles, and a sanitized siphon, without any problems."

Back