how long is to long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwood

Reaction score
How long is to long? Is longer better?

Before you all get sick thoughts let me ask what I am asking. We boiled NB's Irish Draught Ale last tuesday. Wednesday night it was going good as normal. Now here we are almost a week later and it still is clicking (moving the air lock up and down) about once or twice a minute? Is this normal? did somthing go wrong? The box says 5 weeks to be done and I am a week into it and can't even think about racking to the second yet. I want to wait about 5 days after it is done before doing that. Well that puts me into week 2 easy and then it will take 2 weeks to clear (going by the 1-2-3 method which is one week longer then the recipe says). SO all in all what is going on. The "Activator" yeast I used swelled up really nice and we pitched it direct into the carboy after we transfered it from the kettel. The temp was about 72 and we had a absolutly great 60 minute boil. The recipe called for 1lbs of honey and 1lb of DME and 1.25 of LME so I was just thinking with the combination of all the sugars and the yeast at that temp that everything is going really well,,,,

But a week later and it is still perkulating?

Help, I think my beer is going good but don't know for sure.

And another thing, 1-2-3 is only a guideline, every brew is different. I recently had a beer ferment for 3 weeks (granted it was a big beer).

Also, there is no need to wait 5 days after bubbling stops, take hydro reading, when there is no change for 2 consecutive days go ahead and rack.

TheJadedDog said:
Also, there is no need to wait 5 days after bubbling stops, take hydro reading, when there is no change for 2 consecutive days go ahead and rack.

That is what I wanted to hear. I was worried about how long it was going to take. I am brewing it for my boss so I didn't want to over shot my dead line like normal.

Back