How long in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veggiess

Reaction score
Got 4 gallons of Mr. Beer cider going in my primary. Added two cans of Mr. Beer cider, 6 cups of sugar (5 table & 1 brown) and whatever yeast they provided. Followed directions exactly. Took about 24 hours for it to really get going, but it's been 12 days since I pitched and it's still pretty active. (In the directions, it said about 5 days in the Mr. Beer fermenter to finish). It's quite foamy and it's bubbling about once every 30-60 sec. I am patient, but I am worried it will go bad. How long can it be in the primary before that will happen? (Before anyone says it, I don't have a secondary at this time, nor am I able to get one right now).

Thanks!

:fro:

Once it has fermented it has a pretty decent alcohol content so that helps it not go bad. Of course the yeast could start eating itself but I have yet to experience that. I wouldn't worry too much about it being in the primary too long , rather the reverse.

Thanks, but I posted that awhile back, so it stayed in there 2 weeks and then I bottled. The foam had gone away by then and the hydrometer readings were steady.

Back