How long for blow off tube starsan suckback to settle out or get eaten???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WPStrassburg

Reaction score
So this weekend I pulled the heater out of the rubbermaid that was keeping my Belgian Pale Ale at ~80 as it was finishing out and dropper the temp to ~65, causing about half a quart of three week old starsan and funk to get sucked back into the fermenter. Besides swearing and throwing everything in sight for being a moron how long will it take the yeast to clean out the starsan? Not much besides praying for no infection and hoping for enough alcohol I can do at this point, right?
Recipe was pretty much the same as Saccharomyces except I used Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale with a OG of 1.056 and an assumed complete ferment after 3 weeks, but no FG measurement to verify yet.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/belgian-pale-ale-117569/

The bucket of sanitizer was cloudy, but no funk was growing in it and there wasn't too much krausen that had blown off and settled in it either.

Wait a few weeks then rack, bottle now, bulk age in the secondary, or what?

what was the ph on the sanitizer? if it was still about 3 it should have killed any bacteria in the "funk" so you should not have a contamination issue.

i say follow your normal process - your typical conditioning time (in bottle or secondary) should be long enough for the yeast to take care of that small bit of starsan.

Back