How long for aroma????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbals

Reaction score
So here I was about this time last year; I made Denny's Rye IPA beer for a family friend's birthday. It turned out great. Well, fast forward to a couple weeks ago.....

What did I find next to some aging Belgiums (Beers that is...) a couple bottles of the Rye IPA and a bottle of my Orange Kolsch made a few months before the Rye. Good score (I thought) till I opened the Rye and the Kolsch- no aroma! none= zip, zilch, nada

So here is my question is there a rule of thumb for IPA's on how long before the aroma starts to disappear?

hops aroma can start to fade really quick. that's why IPAs and the like should always be consumed young. i find with my hoppy brews that even when i go through a batch fairly quickly, the hops are fading by the end. usually within a month of being conditioned in bottles or a little longer in a keg.

I dry hopped with .5oz each of the 3 hops I used in the boil (4.5oz total). I'd have to look at my notes to see if I deliniated that aspect of it or not. But from memory,7 weeks for hoppy ales' nose is pretty close. & I was already using the o2 barrier caps. Hence my reply,but YMMV.

Back