How long does the process take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusparadise

Reaction score
I've never tryed brewing my own beer but I'm wonder what is the shortest time it can be done in, possible to do it in 1-1.5 weeks? I'm not even looking for top quality just something to enjoy. Thanks

Two weeks is really pushing it. You can sometimes bottle in about a week, but it needs to carbonate/condition. You'll have minimally carbonated young (green) beer after two weeks, assuming your primary fermentation is quite healthy and fast.

Most of us try to stick to the 1-2-3 rule:
1 week primary fermentation
2 weeks to settle/clear (usually after racking the beer to another tank)
3 weeks in the bottle

I've drank my fair share of beer at the 2-3 week mark, and it's never as good as if you wait and let it condition for a few more weeks (months).

Beers that finish quickly tend to be light-bodied ales without a lot of alcohol content or strong flavorings.

if you make a good starter and it has a CRAZY fermentation, you could probably finish fermentation in 10 days (i'm not even gonna give you a week) and then if you keg it and your friends take turns shakin the co2 into that sucker over a 24 hour period you can have some decent drinkable beer.

not gonna be great, tho, and i prefer bottling. 1-2-3 rule for me, usually more in the bottles. this hobby takes some patience.

If you like wheat beers they seem to have the fastest turn around from brew day to acceptable finished product.

cactusparadise said:
I've never tryed brewing my own beer but I'm wonder what is the shortest time it can be done in, possible to do it in 1-1.5 weeks? I'm not even looking for top quality just something to enjoy. Thanks

Possible? yes.
Desirable? no.

It'll take at least that amount of time to do the reading.

Yeah. To make a quick turn around beer in 2 weeks you'd have to keg and probably filter.

You could get away with it with the right recipe but your flavor will suffer some what. BYO had an article about this I think.

Go for a lower alch beer with a fast yeast like Nottingham. Aerate and pitch with a hydrated dry yeast. They tend to get going faster than liquids. Though if you have a big starter a liquid could work.

The quickest turnaround I had on a beer was 3 weeks. It was for a bush party 500 miles away. 15000 watt sound system, a river, HUGE Trees and lots and lots of mosquitoes! (and pretty girls..)

Funny thing, I tasted my badcow stout yesterday after it had been in the bottles about 60 hours... dude! It was FULLY carbonated, I was amazed. Still green though, needs at least another week before I start having 1 every other night ;).

Ok from your posts I get that at least I can finish it and bottle it in that period of time then I can just leave it alone for a while. Thats all I need, thanks.

I can turn around a top quality low gravity (1.038) bitter at it's peak in about 10 - 14 days with a good floccing yeast. I'm brewing 10 gallons of one now and I hope to be drinking it a week on Friday.

Latest posts

Back