how long does skunking take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
I broke a box of bottles i had right before i bottled and had to use a few corona bottles. if i keep them in a dark place and drink them first will they skunk? how long does it take for beer to skunk?

As long as they are kept out of UV light, they shouldn't skunk at all. So put them in a closet or the basement and enjoy when carbed!

The effect starts immediately, like within 5 minutes.

But keep them relatively dark and drink them first and you will be fine. Plenty of beers come in green or clear bottles and sit on shelves for weeks or months and they won't kill you. RDWHAHB

i was just wondering if there was any chance i skunked the beer when i bottled it. I bottled about six at a time and then took them into the dark. any chance those got skunked? could they skunk if i take them out to look at them?

The amount of skunking is directly proportional to the intensity of the light, the exposure time and the hopping level. Unless you take them outside on a sunny day, you will not have a problem.

Back