How long does it take for the oak flavor to smooth out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
I just bottle an IPA yesterday which was infused with oak chips. I did two ounces of oak chips for five gallons for a total of two days. I soaked it in Vodka for about 2.5 hours beforehand to sterilize it and remove some of the bitterness. Tried a bit yesterday while bottling and it definitely has a kick. About how long does it take for the oak flavor to mellow out?

Sounds like a bit of a mismatch, since you want to drink IPAs fresh yet oak is usually used for extended aging.

I agree, oak and IPA are kinda an odd match up. Unless you made an Imperial, but even then the longer you age the hops are going to fall out. Rule of Thumb...

1) Hoppy beers and ageing dont mix
2) Oaked beers get better with age

I made a pale ale with 4oz oak and it was good as soon as it was carbed. I boiled/steamed the oak chips in a little water for 30 min prior to use, which helps remove some of the harshness.

I think 2-3 months is where you start noticing the oak flavor mellow and get some vanilla character

Back