how long does grain stay good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
i just got my crushed grains from northern brewer yesterday for my first AG. due to my poor planning, i dont have a wort chiller. i wont have time to get one till sometime next week. will my grains stay legit if i just leave them in the NB packaging till i brew next sat 4/10? im sure they will be fine, but just want some reassurance as this is my first AG. i also have a 1/2lb of carapils about 4 months old from my last batch. is this still good? ive had it in tupperware in my closet dry. i cant remember what it looked or smelled like 4 months ago..

i got em at 65 in the closet in all the northern brewer packaging. they were crushed by NB about a week ago, and i wont be brewing for about another week.

Your grain should be fine then. 2 weeks ain't that bad as long as they're kept in a dark and cool area.

If you think delays like this might happen again, it might not be a bad idea to make friends with somebody who has a grain mill or finding a used one somewhere.

If you want a hands on way to get an idea if it's still good or not, take a little bit of the grain and steep it in some warm water. If it doesn't taste funny, then you should be good to go.

Unmalted grains can last for years in storage under the right conditions. In order to keep seeds viable the humidity and temperature should equal 100. In other words at 60* the humidity would be optimal at 40%.

I do not know what those factors are for malted grains.

Back