How long does grain last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulBrew

Reaction score
How long is grain good for after crushed? Also if I just have my leaf hops in the bags they came in from fresh hops in the freezer how long are they good for? Just got a vacuum sealer, plan on vac sealing tonight...

For all grain brewing I have found that crushed grain should be used within a few weeks after being crushed. I once used a kit with grain that had been crushed 8-10 weeks prior to this and needed to add some DME near the end of my boil to reach the target OG. If possible, keep the crushed grains in a sealed bag if you cannot brew with them right away.

Grains can keep for years. Crushed; probably a few weeks. Check the gravity of the wort, and add some extract if you come up short.

Hops. In the freezer, they do fine. Per Beersmith for Centennial (which has a 40% HSI number, which is relatively high):

6 months storage at:

Room Temp 70 F (loose in plastic bag): Loss 40% AAs (NOTE: this is where the 40% HSI comes from - Hop Storage Index)
Room Temp 70 F (Vacuum packed): Loss 25% AAs
Fridge 35 F loose in plastic bag): Loss 20% AAs
Fridge 35 F (Vacuum packed): Loss 10% AAs
Freezer 0 F (loose in plastic bag): Loss 8% AAs
Freexer 0 F (Vacuum packed): Loss 4% AAs

It is important to keep them cool. Vacuum packing is good, but not critical.

I am using the last of some two row that I bought and had crushed 18 months ago. I was afraid of it at first, and predicted that my efficiency would suffer greatly. Turns out that I can add about 15% more of the two row than my recipe calls for and hit it really close. I kept it in the baggies it came in, dry, and in the fridge. Get good reviews for the beers it makes, so I've been lucky. I would never recommend keeping it that long. But sometimes you just can't brew when you want to and it's worth a shot if you have a bunch like I did. Or just use it in partial mashes. Be sure and smell it first just in case it might have gotten wet:)

I batch sparge and don't mashout. So, other techniques may cause some husk bitterness that I'm not seeing.

I realized that I should add that I agree that grain should be used as soon as possible, it does make a big difference. Old grain is just something else to deal with especially after you've gotten your efficiency dialed in. The first LHBS that I got grain from caused me to think that I could never get over 75% eff. After finding another source, it went to 85% with that change alone. I discovered that his grain was old and not properly stored.

Old grain short of weevils will still have the starch available. It may taste rank and old, but it will still give you the efficiency you calculate weight/weight. Grain is good for about 3+ years uncrushed stored in ambient temperature. If frozen or refrigerated probably less due to the defrosting schedule of the unit which causes condensation within the bag.

This is contrary to most peoples thoughts, but in actuality that is what happens. I can sell grain that is 3+ years old and it grades the same as a bin of last years crop.

Back