How long do I leave fruit in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b_sieh

Reaction score
D-47 yeast

17# honey

12# strawberries cut up

4# rhubarb chopped.

I Fermented just the honey first and after it slowed down I added the fruit in a pail and racked mead over it. How long should I let the fruit stay in?

Thanks!

D-47 yeast

17# honey

12# strawberries cut up

4# rhubarb chopped.

I Fermented just the honey first and after it slowed down I added the fruit in a pail and racked mead over it. How long should I let the fruit stay in?

Thanks!
Take a small taste, if it has the right amount of "fruitiness" that you're looking for, then rack it off the fruit too start clearing.

Off the top of my head I can't remember the figures, other than D47 should be capable of 14% or so, which equates to a gravity drop of 103/104 points. You might need to crunch the numbers of the original "traditional" batch to see if it would get to a level enough to not restart, once you racked it onto the fruit............

according to the calculator over at Gotmead.com with 17# of honey my batch should be between 14.5-15.75 ABV. Either way it "should" be high enough to keep it from restarting a second fermentation.

Anyone have any idea if the amount of fruit I used sounds right? I want to taste the rhubarb but not too much.

Thanks!

Back