How long do hops last ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haydn-Juby

Reaction score
So I plan on doing a BIAB 3 gallon tonight. I'll most likely be doing an IPA next week. Now my hops come in roughly 2oz packets and I'm only using about 1oz for the 3gal batch today. Can they store in the freezer for a week fine without loosing any aroma or AA's ? Also theyre Northern Brewer if that helps.

Another thing I've stored some opened Willamette in my fridge for about 4-5 months now, simply because I've been short on brew time. I took a sniff a few days back and they still smelled great. Will they be okay in terms of AA ?

Thanks so much, :mug:

So I plan on doing a BIAB 3 gallon tonight. I'll most likely be doing an IPA next week. Now my hops come in roughly 2oz packets and I'm only using about 1oz for the 3gal batch today. Can they store in the freezer for a week fine without loosing any aroma or AA's ? Also theyre Northern Brewer if that helps.

A week in the freezer is totally fine. No issues there.

Another thing I've stored some opened Willamette in my fridge for about 4-5 months now, simply because I've been short on brew time. I took a sniff a few days back and they still smelled great. Will they be okay in terms of AA ?

Thanks so much, :mug:

You can still use those. They may have lost a little potency, but if they still smell fresh, use them. Future note, store them in the freezer with as little air as possible (squeezed out ziploc or, preferably, vacuum sealed) and they'll last months to years.

Sealed in the nitrogen flushed bags and stored cold apparently they last a few years. I just did an IPA with some centennial left over from last year stored in a ziplock bag in the freezer and I can definitely tell a difference in the final product. I'm getting a lot of bitterness but not enough of that bright/citrusy/fresh hop character that I'd want in an IPA

Latest posts

Back