How long can I store a full keg of beer for, untapped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkrabbit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s the scenario:

I am getting ‘orders’ for kegs for several events this spring and summer. I’d like to brew up beer and have it ready to go in advance but it might be a month or two out from when it’s kegged to when it’s used. I have a pretty hectic schedule so when I have an available day to brew, I like to take advantage even if I might not have keezer space.

Let’s say for a Hefe and an IPA, how long can it sit in the keg, in a cold cellar, fully carbed and pressurized, untapped, and remain fresh?

I read IPAs can lose aroma over time but that’s due to headspace correct? If there’s almost no headspace left, should the loss be minimal?

I know stouts can sit for a long time, as can porters.

Thanks!

A month or two is fine, no matter the style. Don't forget the IPA started life as a pale ale that was largely hopped to stay as fresh as possible to make the 6 month voyage from England to India. A Hefe though is different. All your lighter OG's and lighter hopped beers are best consumed if they aren't aged, although, I had a few bottles left of a Bohemian Pilsner that I forgot in my keezer which was a good year old that tasted just fine. So if it were me, do all your dark and/or hoppy beers now and the lighter guys after.

Cheers!

I read IPAs can lose aroma over time but that’s due to headspace correct? If there’s almost no headspace left, should the loss be minimal?

No, it will age/lose aroma over time but if you keep them cold and minimize oxygen exposure that will slow it. I can notice a difference a month out but the IPA's are still good. As mentioned above try to do the dark beers first and keep the hefes and hoppy beers for last.

I'm not big on IPAs, all I've heard is that you want to be drinking them as soon as the gravity is stable and it is carbonated.

I don't think you'd want to let a hefe age for very long, either. I'd say best before 2 months, but I'd bet it is still drinkable for several months if you keep it cold.

Back