How is my mash schedule? Trying to get more foam...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haeffnkr

Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to get more foam out of my beers.

I know good foam is combination of a lot of things.
I do lodo and have good fermentation practices and clean glasses.

My mash schedule for a lot of my lagers is as follows.

144 - 20
148 - 30
153 - 15
160 - 40
170 - 5

I have an automated rims system so I just punch in the temps and times and let it run.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

thanks in advance.
haeffnkr

Hi,
I am trying to get more foam out of my beers.

I know good foam is combination of a lot of things.
I do lodo and have good fermentation practices and clean glasses.

My mash schedule for a lot of my lagers is as follows.

144 - 20
148 - 30
153 - 15
160 - 40
170 - 5

I have an automated rims system so I just punch in the temps and times and let it run.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

thanks in advance.
haeffnkr

Why so many steps? What is each step there doing for you?

Why so many steps? What is each step there doing for you?
My thoughts too. I used to do a really complex 5 temperature step mash, but ditched it a year or so ago for a simpler Hoch-Kurz mash. Dough-in @55C with underletting and minimal stirring, then let it rest for :05 minutes. Start the recirc as the water heats to ~62C for Beta rest, then increase to ~69C for Alpha, mash out @76C for :15 minutes.

The exact temperatures and times for both Beta and Alpha rests can be modified up or down a degree or two depending on what profile you're trying to achieve in the finished beer. 62C/69C are my base temperatures and time for each is :30 minutes +/- :15 mins.

Overall efficiency of the mash has increased anywhere from 3-5 points OG over 5 step mashes using the same grain bills. I typically get mid to high 80s mash efficiencies. I don't "chase" efficiency but I do keep track of it.

I use a 20L Braumeister setup that circulates continuously from the bottom of the grainbed up vertically for the duration of the mash and get remarkably clear wort for the boil.

145/162/168 is really all you need. The length at 145 will determine fermentability. 162 is your foam step. 20 minutes is all that’s necessary

145/162/168 is really all you need. The length at 145 will determine fermentability. 162 is your foam step. 20 minutes is all that’s necessary
Mostly agree. 162F/72C is just a little high for my liking. I routinely add 0.5# CaraFoam/Carapils to a ~12# grist, depending on the style and other grains in the grist, and never have issues with lack of body or foam. The slow increase in temperature from 69C/156F to mash out @ 76C/168F (roughly :10 mins) is usually enough time to produce adequate foam in the finished beer. I will note that I seldom do the Alpha rest at less than 69C/156F, but seldom higher than 71C/160F.

Mostly agree. 162F/72C is just a little high for my liking. I routinely add 0.5# CaraFoam/Carapils to a ~12# grist, depending on the style and other grains in the grist, and never have issues with lack of body or foam. The slow increase in temperature from 69C/156F to mash out @ 76C/168F (roughly :10 mins) is usually enough time to produce adequate foam in the finished beer. I will note that I seldom do the Alpha rest at less than 69C/156F, but seldom higher than 71C/160F.

My hockhurz schedule is similar I usually do 144, 158, 165

I also agreed on the mash schedule. Unless you need an acid rest, protein rest, or cereal mash, you don’t need more than 3 steps in a step mash.

Also, consider adding 3 or 4 ounces of torrified wheat. It will improve foam without adding sweetness.

Back